Tach acting up

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
So last ride the tach started making noise, at least I think it was the tach an not the cable.
The needle started hanging up around 3,000 rpm then dropping down reeeal slow to idle.

Is this a tach problem or cable problem?

If tach, what can be done to fix it?
Seems like it needs to be split open.
Needs a drop of machine oil somewhere maybe?

Sounds like the tach itself. I'd try some 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil in the drive hole with the tach face down. A few drops and let it sit a few minutes then try driving it with a drill or reinstall.

always do the basics firsts and or cheap easy stuff

i'd check the cable and if in good shape, ends not rounded off etc, lube it (not sure what stuff)

shouldn't just use anything and there are often warnings that too much lube can end up in the instrument messing it up

cables can dry out and the tach gauge can then act up

On my first trip out to Joe's place, my tach made some noise just before I got to his place and suddenly broke the cable. I only had about an hour's warning at highway speed! :ahem:

i should have included, that if/when a cable dries out, you can also get noise

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=106271#p106271:15vwwgzs said:
82a » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:46 pm[/url]":15vwwgzs]
always do the basics firsts and or cheap easy stuff

i'd check the cable and if in good shape, ends not rounded off etc, lube it (not sure what stuff)

shouldn't just use anything and there are often warnings that too much lube can end up in the instrument messing it up

cables can dry out and the tach gauge can then act up

Sounds like what was happening to every speedometer I ever owned that had done more than 55,000. And I know it ain't the cable, thats the first thing I tried.

I got a good "82 tach that worked when I removed it, I'll send it to you for free if you strip the noisy one down and try to fix it and then youtube the results, good or bad.

Man. I owe you that much.

..I would take a close look at your cable, it maybe be sprung to a certain point, maybe it would be easier to change it and see first, then you know where you stand, and the tach could be going bad too like the guys said, or it could be both...at the same time...that would be my luck.... :swoon: