The Single carb mod, the truth is out of the closet

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103036#p103036:2wlzbk2u said:
Dusterdude » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:18 am[/url]":2wlzbk2u]
Dan,i would love to use a type 4 intake but try as i might.i cant find one anywhere
They're out there. I think Joe has a source.
I think pretty certainly it's best to build from the type 4 plenum. It's design is a big boost in the way it directs airflow.

Yes Aapple, I agree different designs will not lead to a one design that's repeatable, however my original intension with mine was to prove or disprove if 1" runners were too small. Which in fact they are not too small.
This fact has led to a major conclusion that full size runners over approx 1-1/8" are too big if there isn't any device in the runners to speed up flow.
In itself this was a major confirming step in the direction this mod needs to go and confirmed larger runners will not dial in properly.
Yes they will run but run efficiently? No.

My tests have been part of the R&D process to find what works and what doesn't work.
There are very subtle differences with all aspects of this mod which add up, one affects the other.

well I like to think this is simple ...but the reality is ...its only a few in forty yrs that have gotten to this simple solution for there oldwing ...we sure hope it becomes simpler with our efforts here at classic with plenum and carb set up ... it forsure is good equipment to work with ...and certainly engineered worth leaning about .....what a dream carb and oldwing setup...... compared engineered Honda user unfriendly epa pile of junk carburation system

This is a great topic. I have thought of the single carb as a good idea, but difficult to achieve. I still want to do a full fuel injection on mine of course. Trying to keep up with Steve83's progress!

You mean captain midnight is on this forum, too? I always thought he had to have a trailer to haul his ego around with him. Other than that, he is a clueless backyard bob that tinkers with motorcycles.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103105#p103105:tp8kzmme said:
Riding a Relic » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 pm[/url]":tp8kzmme]
This is a great topic. I have thought of the single carb as a good idea, but difficult to achieve. I still want to do a full fuel injection on mine of course. Trying to keep up with Steve83's progress!

You mean captain midnight is on this forum, too? I always thought he had to have a trailer to haul his ego around with him. Other than that, he is a clueless backyard bob that tinkers with motorcycles.
i like to read the technical stuff but also prefer reading stuff that stays on topic, all i've seen so far is he got turfed not only from this, but even bigger, the naked site too

the way he is going on now, prob get muzzled again where he is still allowed to participate

Dan, you know that the runners or the manifolds have influence on the torque curves on the gasoline engine. Yours look great, might I add. Glad you have discovered a new fuel system technique. Thanks for sharing it with us.

what's the story with this info being in the closet for so long? in many ways, it clearly still is

i mean there are some reasons that become evident over time but ....dunno

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103125#p103125:mhxytaum said:
82a » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:55 pm[/url]":mhxytaum]
what's the story with this info being in the closet for so long? in many ways, it clearly still is

i mean there are some reasons that become evident over time but ....dunno

Well my take on it is there's been so much wrong information posted and some seem to be guys guessing what is true and what works.
Others want to act authority over it and actively confuse it with what they think is needed by getting overly technical when the basics and physics behind it have been there all along.

The single carb deal is in reality very simple in it's operation, supply a air fuel mixture that's at least close to what the engine needs.

What we've been working on is refining on that by providing the proper flow of the mix (with the right size runners) and expanding that mix (with heat) to make best use of that mix.
Both simplified explanations because the heat actually makes use of raw gas that otherwise would be part of the mix and wasted.

There really isn't any mystery anymore.
For the most part we know what works and what needs to be done and we know what happens if one part of the equation is not done.

Where I'm at is to test and refine mixtures and insulate for better heat transfer so I can get the best possible MPG out of my creation. All along the way I've learned a lot and passed it on here on the forums.
It's up to everyone else to use it, or not because I don't claim to know everything and never will. I could be wrong on some things and there could be easier ways to do the same thing or better.
That is why we post what we've done so others can add their ideas.

Joe and I have been chatting how we could build a plenum with heat built in.
We spend hours every day chatting about this stuff.
Ideally a plenum and outlets with heat tube fittings sticking out of it is what we'd like to see.
The VW plenum has a key feature built in that directs air flow into the tubes.
I personally believe without this forced direction of flow, best performance and economy cannot be met.

This is where we're at.

well no doubt about it, though there is/was good info out there, it was and still is mostly buried under a mountain of bs

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103136#p103136:2jqh943a said:
82a » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:49 pm[/url]":2jqh943a]
well no doubt about it, though there is/was good info out there, it was and still is mostly buried under a mountain of bs
And your point is?

There's no secrets here on this forum.
Everything we've done and learned is in the threads. You need to read those threads and make use of the information, that is if your even concidering doing the mod. And if so, we all will help in any way we can.

my point is that was the past, or how it was and remains for some folks

if i have to dig for basic info, i lose interest fast

If you want perfection, go pay a shop to do it. The journey is the fun part. I haven't done this mod, and I am sure for some following all the posts, but there were several ideas and several approaches. To me it was fun to tag along and see what worked. The 1000 heads on a 1200 block was a lot like this. It started with talk and ideas and reports of some who made it work. It evolved into a couple of approaches to make it work. Sure some of it's backyard stuff, but for me it's a blast. I appreciate all who post whatever they try.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103138#p103138:9dhvgdon said:
82a » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:56 pm[/url]":9dhvgdon]

Well the way it's being dished out is the way it has to be until a final repeatable design is come up with and a parts list anyone can build.

It's very hard to follow along if you don't have these parts in front of you to get some real feel and mass for it. It sure was for me years ago when I first started reading about single trials, jetting, carb sizes, all that stuff. It wasn't until I had them in front of me that I could understand what it all meant.

And yes I agree, all the experiments are the fun part.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103138#p103138:3dggy5tg said:
82a » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:56 pm[/url]":3dggy5tg]

i didn't mean this site, what started here got my full attention

Dan, some GM cars back in the 80's had a heat element underneath the carb. I think the varijet carbs used them. (POS carb) But, it is electric, it does not draw a lot of current, but can be turned on and off as desired. I think Chevettes used them, if I remember correctly. Now you might consider this as an alternative to tubing, or a supplement to it.

ive read about those before electric plate gasket like deal ....certainly would be easy to install ....not sure of current draw or how heavy duty it is of longevity ....

in the back of my mind is the fact that 84% of the motor charge is air ....heating up the air charge in exhaust heat exchanger got to be the best way to eliminate this problem ... but havnt come up with anything yet to try but thinking always on it ... exhaust has ample free heat to use

Latest posts