The Single carb mod, the truth is out of the closet

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valves are the same. Lift was more on 1000, so if you think you might try both, notch the pistons for the 1000 cams and you could go back to 1100's if you wanted. I am weighing both for mine too. I'm going to notch for tge 1000, but I may use the 1100 cams.

well size is the same .. i actually like the 1100 heads better there cam carriers flow oil better to a small degree .. hooch has 1100 heads and early 1000 cams in them .. no big reason really ..just what i thought the best heads i had for the job......honda started coating the valves in 1100s and have different part numbers but are the same in size is all i know ...... :mrgreen:

Going by memory, all valves had the same stellite (sp?) coating. Looking them up online at parts suppliers, they list same parts for all years, 36mm intake, 32mm exhaust. The 83 had a flat faced valve. Might have given given it a bit more compression. As I recall from Joe's build, the 1000 cams needed a mod to use the points portion of the cam. I would want that to be able to use the ignition more easily.

seems were getting off topic a bit ...the dft is a great mod for any wing stock or modded to other cam besides stock for the motor ... ive used them all in the same motor except for 1200 cam ...witch is a milder cam....i had already experienced the 79 mild cam and did not see the point of 1200 cam try

it seems the early 371 cams from 75-77 oldwings has all the duration and lift that the oldwing motor can handle and if put 1200... piston notching for clearance is required ....but it also seems on the front side where cam starts its quite tame and idles well .... the 5 degrees overlap is not very aggressive ...so to me its like the perfect cam ...out of the cams i used ..my choice was thee early 1000 cams ... all tested by the seat of the pants .. in the conditions of use these were the best for me ...all this testing was done on a 1100 motor witch did not need piston mod and the heads never have been off this bike since i had it ...it was a wrecked bike i bought and fixed up

as for the dft carb i cant wait to try one on the angry dresser 1100 ..i am sure it will be faster than it was with stock carbs ... if people really knew me they would know i would never back something that didnt show me something i wanted power ...hooch with the shovelking induction system and mods is the best performing bike ive ever had :BigGrin: it dose everything well :ahem: :thanks:

Agree, off topic of original post. There is a great deal of opinion on the various head, cam, carb combinations. It might be nice to start a new thread on this topic ( head and cam, )where we could collect real data on the likenesses and differences of the various combinations.

Latest posts