thought I had a starter problem, now I think it's a carb problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskydad

Reaction score
I recently replace my starter and starter relay. The new starter really cranks the engine over great but then if I let the bike sit overnight and the next morning I get on and hit the start button and it just clunks but won't turn the engine over. I tapped on my starter button trying to get it to turn over untl I burned out my starter relay (again). I ordered another starter relay and was wondering if maybe my starter clutch was sticking, I've already cleaned all my wires ground wire too and checked voltages. Before I put the new relay on I took the cap off the engine and tried cranking it over manually with a ratchet and I couldn't turn it over, it was really tight. I then took the spark plugs out and tried again, gas sprayed out of cylinder 4 like a super soaker! I was thinking of doing it again and making a clip of it but gas is getting too expensive up here in CT. So I was hoping for some suggestions on how to procede. I now believe that my carb is flooding cylinder 4 and causing a vaporlock. What do you folks think?

Your right. The cylinder is locking up.

You might get by with turning the fuel off every time it's parked and run 8 oz. ATF to a tank to clean up the carbs.
Go put a buncha miles on it.

And don't try cranking it like that when hydrolocked. that will bend piston rods.

Ok I installed the new relay and did a quick check before I put the plugs back in, she spun like a champ. Then I started her up took about a 10 mile ride around town pulled back in my driveway shut the gas off and let her idle for about 5 minutes. Then I shut her off put in 8 oz of ATF (I've got almost a full tank of gas) and rolled her back in the shed. Tomorrow morning I'll see what I've got, if everything's good I'll ride to work then cut off the gas (work is only 2 miles away). Friday I've got the day off and I'll take a longer ride if everything goes well up til then. Hopefully the ATF does the trick ,if not, off with the rack!! Thanks guys!

huskydad":3k4lkvk3 said:
Ok I installed the new relay and did a quick check before I put the plugs back in, she spun like a champ. Then I started her up took about a 10 mile ride around town pulled back in my driveway shut the gas off and let her idle for about 5 minutes. Then I shut her off put in 8 oz of ATF (I've got almost a full tank of gas) and rolled her back in the shed. Tomorrow morning I'll see what I've got, if everything's good I'll ride to work then cut off the gas (work is only 2 miles away). Friday I've got the day off and I'll take a longer ride if everything goes well up til then. Hopefully the ATF does the trick ,if not, off with the rack!! Thanks guys!
:help: :beg: WAIT!!!!!....Check your oil level first!!! If that much gas came out of #4 cylinder, it was also leaking into the manifold and down into the engine! If you have gas in the oil it can wash your bearings right out plus you risk a crankcase explosion!!! :help: :help:

I have been through this same drill once before!

viewtopic.php?p=2784#p2784

Good call Mcgovern, i've seen engines damaged from that before. I even bought a dirtbike cheap because the previous owner left water and gas in the engine oil.

I'd go a step further and recommend after oil change, and a good long run, change it again.
Oil and filters are cheap compared to crank bearings.

Good luck on your fix!