warm engine start

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
? bike runs so great,, but stop a few minutes,, then go to start, and seems like I don't have the pattern down yet,,, throttle,, no throttle,, pump throttle,, think probly just no throttle idk,, but if it don't start the first crank, im always on the throttle,, then sounds like you put the whip to it when it starts,,, anyone got it down smooth? weird question I guess,, thanx for any input

My 84 starts right up warm just touch the start button. No throttle no choke. Starts just as easily cold but need to give it a little throttle to warm it up some.

turn the key, push the button, and if necessary crack the throttle while it is cranking. I haven't had to do anything more than that unless I had mistakenly tunred off the kill switch. If that were the case, then there are a few curse words thrown in for good measure. :oops:

When hot, I had similar starting issues like it would crank fast and not start or the opposite, it would crank very slow and then suddenly start.

Both issues were gas related; too much gas in the cylinders. After I had my carbs cleaned and rebuilt, that problem went away and now it starts the same every time.

When warm it should start up with no throttle but ignition or carb problems affect this.
Sounds to me too rich or maybe too lean.
Does closing the choke some help or make it worse?

my 83 is the same way , but I'm pretty sure my Carbs need cleaning , my 80 ( the Trike ) i cleaned the Carbs on it , back 3 or 4 years ago , and it starts at the push of the starter button ANYTIME , and it used to be the same as the 83 is now . :popcorn:

ok,, thanx for the input,, I will try more starts at no throttle,, then crack it if it doesn't start,, but I would say its to lean ... maybe get some riding in soon ,, been working a lot,, my market income really went south on me,,, :builder: