Warning light disconnect, Oil checking

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnB1953

Reaction score
Hello gang Has been a while but I got the trike going . I now have 2 small issues to deal with . Since it is now a trike and no longer has stock rear shocks the warning lite on the speedo stays onand if I go over 55 I get a warning buzzer until the speed drops to 50 mph. So what di I need to disconnect or change to stop this from happening ? Also how do you read that damn oil window? I have cleaned the outside, tried to rotate the wiper but I still can not read the level worth a darn. What a stupid idea that was what is wrong with a dip stick. Is there any other way to check the oil ? Thanks John

LOL...window you say ..ive never been able to see the dam oil level ..i wonder what engineer came up with that deal .....im not sure what to tell you on the light either ....glad to hear the trike lives ...way to go :good:

On the light, disconnect from the sensor (located at the rear master cylinder) and ground the wire to the frame. The light should stay off.

You can add a dipstick. They show up on ebay occasionally. As for that switch. You'd have to look at the wiring diagram for which wires to join or ground but the wires are under the right side cover near the rear brake master cylinder.

The sight glass is definitely difficult to read. I use a very small flashlight which helps.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177987#p177987:gy5xuauk said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:25 pm[/url]":gy5xuauk]
On the light, disconnect from the sensor (located at the rear master cylinder) and ground the wire to the frame. The light should stay off.
Just did it on the Rats Nest.
:thanks: Gerry

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178086#p178086:iq9i1enr said:
Ansimp » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:30 am[/url]":iq9i1enr]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177987#p177987:iq9i1enr said:
mcgovern61 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:25 pm[/url]":iq9i1enr]
Just did it on the Rats Nest.
:thanks: Gerry
Yep, that is it!

Thank Guys I did it today and it seems to work. Now if I could just see in that darn window to check the oil.

Ok I took the trike out today and at 55 mph I get a warning beep until I slow to under 50. I grounded the wire so I don't have the dash light so what could be causing the beep? I looked in the operators Manuel and It doesn't say anything about any warning buzzer/beep.

Sounds like a speed warning buzzer? Not anything to do with the air suspension circuit as far as I know. The low air warning light loses the earth to illuminate the light so once it is earthed it means there is plenty of air ( above the minimum at least).

There is a speed sensor in the speedometer that is used to set off the warning on the rear air. It is only supposed to set off the light when traveling above 10 MPH and the air is low. Maybe that same sensor is wired to buzzer? Again, I do not have the buzzer.

My 81's had the buzzer's, :yes: in case you did not see the light, is my guess. :headscratch: