Weber 2 barrel progressive centering plate experiment

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
It's been obvious through all the jetting changes I've done so far that something just isn't right with my single manifold and/or the type 4 plenum because the 2 rear cylinders have always burned richer according to the spark plugs.

My theory is the primary throat sitting closer to the 3-4 runners (off center by 3/4") is a more direct shot of intake into those runners. This in turn is causing the 2 front cylinders to burn lean.

Today I made an adaptor plate to link up the 2-1 adaptor to the type 4 plenum.
The adaptor housing channels all air/fuel into a single hole like a 1 barrel carb, dead center between the runners.

image.php

image.php

image.php

My hope is this will cure the unevenness in mixtures to cylinders and maybe even let me go 1 step leaner in the primary jetting. I'm expecting the idle to be smoother also.

Center hole is about 43 mm.

Added height might cause me a problem with the manual choke I just did. Just another thing to re-mod if centering the carb proves worth the effort.

Carb on and running.

I ran it 3,000 rpm for 5 minutes then shut it down.
Plugs are getting more even in color so I think I've answered my question centering the 2 barrel carb on the VW plenum does even up the mixture to front and rear cylinders.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=106145#p106145:19hx3q9g said:
Steve83 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:58 pm[/url]":19hx3q9g]
Nice! Does it sound any different?
It seems to have a little hum at idle.
Definitely less clanking going on in this loose motor.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=106412#p106412:2zlvr7ue said:
Omega Man » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:35 am[/url]":2zlvr7ue]
It sounds like you've found the right combo. What could be gained from the larger runner?

~O~
I'm not sure anything, but I'm wondering if using the adaptor then runner sizing may not be so critical and chokes inside them may not be needed.

Just passing on what sparrowhawkdesign sent me because it's interesting to read that J&E Enterprises discovered an advantage in the straight flow riser back in the 90's and built it into their manifold.......

"The manifold incorporates a high-riser design that provides a straight flow before the air/fuel mixture has to turn corners. This improves distribution by eliminating directional effects caused by a partially open throttle."

image.php

I'm not saying that their riser is the same as I used (and found a very noticeable improvement in performance), but I am saying that it does lend some validity to adding a riser.

I've searched and searched but come up empty finding any more information or pictures about this manifold.

image.php

Dan
I have been searching also but think this was just before the internet became popular so probably not much if anything out there. A friend in Alberta did manage to find the person that did the graph testing but he doesn't remember much about it. Still looking though.

At this point I'm claiming CGW originality using the 2-1 adaptor, as far as using it on an oldwing single carb setup and being the first to realize it's potential.

It's use has been a collaborated effort by the CGW members, particularly joedrum and myself studying and reading racing forum posts and their findings.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=108374#p108374:21tzqidp said:
dan filipi » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:44 pm[/url]":21tzqidp]
At this point I'm claiming CGW originality using the 2-1 adaptor, as far as using it on an oldwing single carb setup and being the first to realize it's potential.

It's use has been a collaborated effort by the CGW members, particularly joedrum and myself studying and reading racing forum posts and their findings.

Without a doubt! :music: :music: :good: