What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173775#p173775:29cyajqx said:
slabghost » 54 minutes ago[/url]":29cyajqx]
Personally I doubt any number or intensity of light will help you be seen on the roads today.

Amen! they don't see cause their busy looking else where!

Ya, they're not really in the bestest place, for what I am wanting, but they fit there...for now. I'm trying to get a flashing tun sig on the SIDE of the fairing, to make my intentions more visible to the morons attempting to pass/run over me from the side. The plain jane reflectors on the sides of the fairing NEED to be turn sigs on all 'Wings, imo. If I can find/afford some amber lights(LEDs) that match the reflectors in size/shape, that's what I want, and for the sides of the saddlebags, too, only in red. The only lights I can find to fit at this point require a 3/4" hole for the bulb socket/wiring, and they don't fit as well as I would like. I'll get there, eventually. :BigGrin:

AApple":2mv1n9kl said:
Ya, they're not really in the bestest place, for what I am wanting, but they fit there...for now. I'm trying to get a flashing tun sig on the SIDE of the fairing, to make my intentions more visible to the morons attempting to pass/run over me from the side. The plain jane reflectors on the sides of the fairing NEED to be turn sigs on all 'Wings, imo. If I can find/afford some amber lights(LEDs) that match the reflectors in size/shape, that's what I want, and for the sides of the saddlebags, too, only in red. The only lights I can find to fit at this point require a 3/4" hole for the bulb socket/wiring, and they don't fit as well as I would like. I'll get there, eventually. :BigGrin:
I've often considered making the reflectors on the sides of my windjammer into side blinker/lighted markers. Shouldn't be very difficult...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I think I just saved myself from certain heartache and expense. When I first got my wing back in the fall of 2013 I read about the three yellow wires. I checked mine and one of the terminals had some evidence of getting hot, but not too bad so I cleaned all the connections the best i could, filled the plug with dilectric compound and put it back together. I've never had any charging issues, so.....out of sight, out of mind. I don't know what prompted me to pull the plug apart this evening but I'm sure glad I did....there was a major meltdown going on. Got them all soldered up & sealed with shrink tubing. I didn't check voltage with a multimeter yet but I have a digital unit that plugs into the cig lighter... I'm getting 13.8 or so...at idle (which surprised me) and all through the rpm range. It never gets up to 14....does that sound OK??? .....hoping I dodged the bullet on this one

Edit: Ok...curiosity got the better of me so I went back out to the garage with the multi-meter. I'm getting 14.9 at the battery..from idle on up the rpm range. 13.2 at idle with the hi-beam and brake light on. I think I'm OK

Rode it around the yard a few times. I will not publicly confess to taking it on the road, because that would be illegal. Now I really have the itch make it road-legal. I have to swap the fairing and some other odds & ends but I hope to have it pretty much there by the end of the weekend. I might go ahead and get the insurance and tag saturday in hope it's ridable by monday. It would make me sad to have it there sunday but not be able to get a tag until tuesday.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=174013#p174013:2wqs1tnd said:
pidjones » Fri May 27, 2016 6:46 am[/url]":2wqs1tnd]
Your DMV is open on Saturday?

Sort of. In PA notaries can do pretty much everything on the spot, including hand you a plate. They have real-time computer links. Most are open evenings until 7, saturday until 1 or 2 and a tiny few are even available on sunday for regular customers. Quite a few work out of their homes.

Waaaay back in the 70s and I guess before title transfers could only be done in the DMV main office in Harrisburg. Think about that. One place. That place is a 7 hour drive from some towns. Not sure, they may have also had an office in Pittsburgh. So..... notaries all over the state had couriers that drove once or twice a week from wherever to H-burg with a trunkload of title transfers to process and spent the day standing in line. I'm not kidding. People did this for a living. Notaries could give you a temporary reg and cardboard plate that was good for a week, then you'd have to go back to the notary to pick up your plate IF you didn't want to wait a month or more for the DMV to mail it.

Sometime in the 80s the pitchforks and torches came out and got the system changed to let notaries do the tough job of handing out license plates and transmitting the data on the spot and mailing things like paper titles and documents to the state. They are private, independent businesses with a direct line to the state. They know the laws inside and out, they have to. They can answer any question. They charge a fair fee for the service and everybody is happy. You can renew your reg online now which is sweet for forgetful people [ahem] but title transfers and anything else that requires showing ID can be done at a notary. I suppose for most of them that's the vast majority of their business, the other notary stuff is a minor part.

Received parts in the mail!! :yahoo:

New steering head bearings! Also ordered front progressive springs which should be here next week. In the meantime, ride, ride, ride!! :yahoo: :moped:

Voltage looks good. I typically see almost a volt drop thru the bike wiring.

I have noticed the same thing. Looking at the wiring schematic why not bring the power straight to the fuse block via a relay. I had thought of just using the key switch to trigger a relay or two. I have been thinking of doing that since I had a wire go open between the forks and the frame, what a pain that was to find and fix.

The other thing is I put a amp clamp and found I was getting 32.4 amps to the battery at 2k rpm. Now if this stator is only suppose to put out 300 watts I shouldn't be getting over 25 amps if I'm right. Now my amp clamp is a fluke and it plugs into my Fluke multi-meter and I'm pretty certain it is pretty accurate.

Any thoughts would be appreciated before I go and do something dumb.

These things put out a tremendous amount of voltage, from idle up. :yes: All three of my 1200's put 14.9-15.01 @2to 3 thous R P M's, & up, at the battery. :roll: But unlike you, my meter's are H F specials, :hihihi: but they all do say the same thing. :whistling:Do not see a reason why the relay's would be a problem, :nea: but could be wrong. :headscratch: Electricity is not one of my stronger states of knowledge :smilie_happy:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=174043#p174043:ko0a40sm said:
OldWrench » Yesterday, 8:59 pm[/url]":ko0a40sm]
Voltage looks good. I typically see almost a volt drop thru the bike wiring.

I have noticed the same thing. Looking at the wiring schematic why not bring the power straight to the fuse block via a relay. I had thought of just using the key switch to trigger a relay or two. I have been thinking of doing that since I had a wire go open between the forks and the frame, what a pain that was to find and fix.

The other thing is I put a amp clamp and found I was getting 32.4 amps to the battery at 2k rpm. Now if this stator is only suppose to put out 300 watts I shouldn't be getting over 25 amps if I'm right. Now my amp clamp is a fluke and it plugs into my Fluke multi-meter and I'm pretty certain it is pretty accurate.

Any thoughts would be appreciated before I go and do something dumb.
Start a new thread so we can go over this. 32 amps to the battery aint right.

Went over to Naples and picked up my new bike. She is a 88 1500 with 31k totally gone through. Pages of work orders and pictures. Most happy when doing my wing thing..! Been riding my 77 a lot. The 77 runs better than my 78. So it looks like I'll have two to tag this year.. Have a great day.

Attachments

• 20160528_153018.jpg
    20160528_153018.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 191
Pulled the tank on Val to check all fuel connections and air cleaner condition. There is a strong smell of gas/petrol when left in the garage and I don't think it is all coming from the failing intake runner orings, maybe it is the actual gas cap seal. I also realised the rear brake light switch was faulty. It will eventually need replacing but for the time being I was able to clean it up and get it working again. :yes: