What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196918#p196918:3010itd7 said:
brianinpa » Yesterday, 9:29 pm[/url]":3010itd7]
Last night I pulled the carb rack and found that the new air cut-off valve had a small, and I mean small, knick in it. I put the best used one I had back in, and reinstalled the carbs. Wouldn't you know it, the back firing has stopped!

Yea :clapping:

Been spending the last few weeks dealing with my Mother In Law having a stroke and brain bleed. She was moved from Assisted Living to Long Term care because of the changes and we had to empty out the assisted apartment.

Everything saved from the move is in our little garage. Had to move my poor old slug outside under her cover. (She doesn't like being outside.) :hihihi:

Since getting back from the Big Sur trip have done an oil/filter change, new air filter, adjusted the new alternator, cleaned the seat with a leather cleaner and preservative, and rerouted the alternator sense wire. Will be scheduling the larger maintenance items over the next month or so.

Cheers

Finished installing gas tank - nice and clean now. Took off the rear caliper and lubed the slide pin, cleaned/sanded lightly the pad pins and reinstalled, bled linked brakes, cleaned up some wiring that I have added, new rear brake pads, and cleaned parts as I reinstalled them. Was going to road test the bike today, but woke up to 3 inches of snow. - highly unusual for this time of the year and way early. Put everything back together, bike started right up and no parts left over - good maintenance period when this happens.

Guess I can start on the front forks, supposed to be like this for a few days.

These older vintage bikes sure can keep you busy. The plus side is because of this, they can be and are extremely reliable.

Cheers

Put her to bed for the winter. Same routine has worked pretty well since '89. I've never had carb problems and I get steady/good MPG. (low 40s)
1) Top up the gas tank.
2) Add Stabil.
3) Run with petcock shut, add choke when it starts to stumble until full choke and then add throttle until I can't keep it running any more.
4) Hook up battery tender.
5) Kiss her on the forehead and tuck her in under her cover. :lazy:
(sigh)

Put stabilizer in three bikes and then drove each one 8 miles round trip to the gas station to top up the tanks with non-alchohol hi-test for storage. (2 wings and a cb750) it was a dreary afternoon but not raining yet. When I pulled up on third bike in 1/2 hour, the attendant was looking at me funny, or maybe he was just jealous!

Well it is a great day in Salt Lake City, 61 degrees so I rode her to work

Attachments

• IMG_20171113_124654329.jpg
    IMG_20171113_124654329.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 86
[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=197659#p197659:wlvc9zuq said:
joedrum » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:37 pm[/url]":wlvc9zuq]
William done for the yr ...oh my

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

We'll try and carry the torch from the warmer southwest for a while. But, don't expect so many great shots of murals. It'll be coyotes and saguaro cactus, I'm afraid.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197660#p197660:2ya2mx9s said:
desertrefugee » Yesterday, 8:52 pm[/url]":2ya2mx9s]
[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=197659#p197659:2ya2mx9s said:
joedrum » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:37 pm[/url]":2ya2mx9s]
William done for the yr ...oh my

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

We'll try and carry the torch from the warmer southwest for a while. But, don't expect so many great shots of murals. It'll be coyotes and saguaro cactus, I'm afraid.

You forgot the sage brush :BigGrin:

I finished a wiring project for an LED light strip. It is for turn/brake/running lights. The wires on the light were so thin. I have hair thicker than that. Well, I used to. They light up great and will really make the bike so much more visible. Kinda a PIA but it was fun to do. I also replace the standard brake/tail lights with LEDs while I was at it. I intend to replace the turn signals front and back with LEDs at some point. Will need to find out what the LED replacements for them are.

Then went for a ride even though it was 45 degress. Cranked up the new stereo with Gerry Rafferty in the CD and pretty much made my hands numb. Didn't care. Should have worn better gloves. What a nice day.

Ohhhhh........my poor girl is mad at me! I have not been able to get her out and on the highway for close to a month. I had to move her outside under cover for about two months while my garage was taken up with my Mother In Laws stuff after moving her out of assisted living and on to long term care. Finally got the garage emptied and move the slug back in two weeks ago.

I went to go start her up today just to warm the engine and move some gas out of the carbs. Voltmeter was at 10.7 volts! :shock:

This AGM battery is only 9 months old! Same type I bought last time that lasted almost 5 years. Charged it up and started the old girl and she started huffing and puffing with too much gas and full choke. (Boy she is not happy.)

I tried to cheer her up but no dice, I then went to the medicine cabinet and pull out some ATF elixir. 8 oz to the almost full tank of gas. I let her run until hot and then closed the fuel petcock and ran the gas out of the carbs. Opened to reserve tank to pull the ATF off the bottom and keep her running at 2K through several fan cycles. She smoothed right out and finally settled down.

Now I am concerned she might be addicted to her elixir! :shock: :hihihi:
(Are there Oldwing support group meetings she could attend?) :hihihi:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197782#p197782:2sc7mgrt said:
joedrum » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:52 am[/url]":2sc7mgrt]
Man atf is quite the tonic I’ll never forget how hard hit I got ..for bringing this to the oldwing community....
And we greatly appreciate it Joe. :clapping: :salute: :music:

Latest posts