What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked me up one of these today from Harbot Freight. $97 with tax.

image.php

Needed it to change the front tire on the KLR. Will make good use of it when I put the 1200 FI motor in my 83.

Those floor lifts make great engine lifts:
Engine Out Of Bike 1.jpg
Next time the bike is in this condition it's a good cleaning to be done. Great for working in close quarters and putting the bike(s) on the centre stand without having to move them around - don't need a lot of room in front or behind the bike when you lift. Enjoy.

Cheers

I have a similar one from Harbor Freight. Maybe a step down from that one? I still use it a lot. But, it does have some limitations. Balancing is one. On a couple of occasions, I had to do some creative engineering to balance the bike. Like this:
wheelsandpanels.JPG

I was never overly confident in leaving the bike on that thing for prolonged projects. I ended up getting one of the Harbor Freight tables when they went on sale. I don't recall exactly what I paid, but it was less than $300.
IMG_5541-Polishing.JPG

I upgraded the wheel chock (with one I already had) and also have added a low scissors jack.
IMG_2361.JPG

IMG_5180.JPG

I park the bike on the table and have ready access (down or up) to anything I need. Really worth the purchase. I did an oil change yesterday (I know "what did you do to your Wing today), and it's nice to have it off the ground for that job, too!
IMG_5558.JPG

Finishing up the timing belt's I am at the point where a DEEP cleaning is necessary, I will inspect all the connectors I can find, and clean them up with some QD contact cleaner and put'em back together with a little dielectric grease for any future corrosion issues. This has been a great learning project, I replaced the belts on the '78 last year but the 1200 is a different animal when it comes to dis-assembly and setting it back up.

Attachments

• IMG_20180128_161332157.jpg
    IMG_20180128_161332157.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20180128_161319194.jpg
    IMG_20180128_161319194.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 155
Since I am switching the 87 over to a single carb, I took the carb rack off. This was the original carb rack for the 84 Standard, so I put it back on the Standard. I have to say, ditching that secondary air system was the best thing I did because that carb rack come off and goes back in easy peasy!

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=199877#p199877:jmftq257 said:
brianinpa » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:54 pm[/url]":jmftq257]
Since I am switching the 87 over to a single carb, I took the carb rack off. This was the original carb rack for the 84 Standard, so I put it back on the Standard. I have to say, ditching that secondary air system was the best thing I did because that carb rack come off and goes back in easy peasy!

I'm going to be ditching that stuff as well - but on my Valkyrie. After the riding season that is. In the Valk world, it's known as "de-smogging". The setup is very similar, but also includes a PAIR valve and some other detritus. Major source of vacuum leaks as the machines age.

Got to put a few more miles on the 1500 today! Weather was nice enough to ride to/from work for the first time in a couple of months. Sure was sweet! :moped:

My riding buddy and I took a ride to an impromptu vintage car meet at a local family restaurant today, The first pic is me in front of the '78 and behind his '99 SE Anniversary (He is wearing the red hoodie and will be coming on the Death Valley meet) the rest are just some "good ole rides"
IMG_20180204_124025206.jpg

IMG_20180204_123956265.jpg

IMG_20180204_122421590.jpg

IMG_20180204_122541565.jpg

IMG_20180204_122445461.jpg

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200080#p200080:28ldwfh3 said:
desertrefugee » Today, 2:55 pm[/url]":28ldwfh3]
Looks cold. (and the Ford).

More chatter soon to come on the Death Valley March.

it was around 50F and overcast,There were about 20 cars total, only about 30 mi round trip and a good breakfast.

Removed the windshield and the center 4-gauge mounted on the fairing for a sample bulb. Dropped $167 @ SuperBrightLeds.com on 26 replacement bulbs, 2 driving lights to mount low on the engine crash bar, and a 3-rocker switch to run the add-ons. Spent more money on the little bike for chain and sprockets and a back tire. Still need to find a replacement windshield. This is an expensive off-season. :shock:

Spent some time working on the 1200 Standard motor checking bearing clearances. By the time I am done with this, I am going to know how to install a crank shaft and piston rods in my sleep!

Finished up with the maintenance item's today on the '86

Timing belts (no issues)
Coolant flush
oil/filter change
air filter (had a hard time finding these locally, Found them online so I got 2)
Cleaned all connectors I could find (and now can set my clock)
final drive oil change

Shake down ride tomorrow

Too Darn Cold to ride, barely 20* and the high was 24* today.

So, I had to keep my feathered and furry friends fed....
They are so hungry, that they ate 5 scoops of grain, and 2 scoops of corn today.

at 5 PM, I had to go out and fill up the feed trough again.

Here are some clips that I took off the Wild Game Innovations hidden camera...
It has IR Flash, pretty trick device.... Q-Daddy loaned it to me for a while, that was right nice of Joe Quantain.

https://imgur.com/a/xitHO

The clips will scroll, and if you click on one, it goes full screen.
even at full screen, it will scroll.

if it stops scrolling, go back to normal size and a Blue Bar shows up "Load More Images"

got several pix of the squirrels dipping way down inside the water bucket... thought that was neat.

https://i.imgur.com/9RQI9FY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ShZGQvT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HhICuP8.jpg

Latest posts