What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Road up to Bartlett Lake today. Beautiful twisty road through low desert canyon country going in. 140 mile round trip for me. 54F chilly degrees and windy at 8AM departure. 70ish as I rolled back into the garage. Great ride.

Note my riding partner for the day:
IMG_5621.JPG

IMG_5624.JPG

Have always wanted to visit the western part of the country, especially this time of year, :yes: but never had enough time, or money. :nea: The ride out would take a week or two at least, then at least a month, or more to look around, then an alternative route back. :roll: But was always afraid that the trip back, would NEVER HAPPEN. :smilie_happy: Wives may not always want to leave, never to return, to where they have lived their whole life.

Today I fought with the rear crash guards, Vetter Saddlebags, and the stock seat grab rail on the 84 Standard. What I am trying to get when I am finished is everything to look right with the stock grab rail and Interstate crash guards so I have the trailer hitch. Eventually I will be replacing the Vetter bags with some large leather bags, but I haven't found a set that I like yet.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200296#p200296:1yhcbjp5 said:
UTgl1000 » February 10th, 2018, 5:37 pm[/url]":1yhcbjp5]
Finished up with the maintenance item's today on the '86

Timing belts (no issues)
Coolant flush
oil/filter change
air filter (had a hard time finding these locally, Found them online so I got 2)
Cleaned all connectors I could find (and now can set my clock)
final drive oil change

Shake down ride tomorrow

Went for a 30 mile shake down, the Aspy performed great , running smooth no leaks or drips. The more I ride this machine- the more I am impressed with it. What a GREAT bike !!

Tipped mine over yesterday and broke the right hand mirror...doh!
It's a good thing I'll be replacing it soon with mirrors on the bar ends!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200353#p200353:23hqan4x said:
rob.lafady » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:07 pm[/url]":23hqan4x]
Tipped mine over yesterday and broke the right hand mirror...doh!
It's a good thing I'll be replacing it soon with mirrors on the bar ends!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sometimes the bike just needs to take a nap!

My riding buddy and I took the wings out for 120 mi stretch today, I needed to check the TC function's on the Aspy, We started out with temp's in the mid forties and reached 51F, put about 20 mi city and the rest was canyon (40) and freeway. I reset the trip counter at the start of the ride and averaged 39 mpg. I think flat out on open road it will do 45 mpg or better. I've said it before:
"What a great bike!! "

Pulled the cover off the old girl. First time she has spent a winter outdoors since she was first brought to us for restoration in 2007. With all of the family stuff that has happened around here since October and then tearing the meniscus in my right knee in December, it was nice to start the old girl up. Unfortunately, I had to charge the battery first. I guess these AGM's are susceptible to draining when outdoors in freezing temps. The previous battery lasted 5 years connected to the bike sitting in the garage never needing to be charged.

All of my exposed polished aluminum had some minor corrosion starting. Hit it with steel wool to knock off the surface. Took her out for a 40 minute ride. She does like running in 43 degree weather!

A while back I put blue LEDs in the dash and I love they way they look, and the way they work, both night and day.

IMG_0514_1.jpg

But they were creating a big blue glare on the windshield. Looked like a couple of blue boobs and impossible to ignore. I put on some metal sheets below the hood to extend it out and the glare is gone.

IMG_0570.jpg

Need to find some molding material to edge the metal since it is pretty sharp.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200605#p200605:2zj8n9lr said:
wedoo2 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:46 am[/url]":2zj8n9lr]
A while back I put blue LEDs in the dash and I love they way they look, and the way they work, both night and day.

IMG_0514_1.jpg

But they were creating a big blue glare on the windshield. Looked like a couple of blue boobs and impossible to ignore. I put on some metal sheets below the hood to extend it out and the glare is gone.

IMG_0570.jpg

Some new wiper blades come with edge guards on them. Might find one at a local parts store in the trash. That would certainly eliminate the sharp edge hazard. Slip it on like a door edge guard.

Heading off to Auto Zone today to get some A/C stuff for my truck and will see if they have anything. It was so nice yesterday to work on the truck. 75 degrees up to 11 pm in the middle of February is a blessing and I started the complete replacement of all the A/C parts on the truck. Never have had A/C. Will let my local guy vacuum the system and replace the freon.

The wiper blade idea is interesting. Trying to visualize that.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200614#p200614:2jx5arp4 said:
wedoo2 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:53 am[/url]":2jx5arp4]
Heading off to Auto Zone today to get some A/C stuff for my truck and will see if they have anything. It was so nice yesterday to work on the truck. 75 degrees up to 11 pm in the middle of February is a blessing and I started the complete replacement of all the A/C parts on the truck. Never have had A/C. Will let my local guy vacuum the system and replace the freon.

The wiper blade idea is interesting. Trying to visualize that.

Not the actual wiper blade. Many of the new blades come with and edge protector which is removed when the blade is installed. That is the item I suggested you use. It's plastic and can be painted.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200605#p200605:2zp20zpo said:
wedoo2 » Yesterday, 8:46 am[/url]":2zp20zpo]

IMG_0514_1.jpg
I'm replacing many bulbs on my bike with LEDs but the 2 gauges abd indicator cluster looked to daunting. How did you access those bulbs and how involved was that. I already have the windshield off for replacement. Thanx, Dave

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=200605#p200605:37fo48hl said:
wedoo2 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:46 am[/url]":37fo48hl]

IMG_0514_1.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

That looks good. I might have to try that on the 87 to match the accent lights I have underneath it.

Latest posts