What to look for?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronzestarvue

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey folks - just joined this forum, since I'm looking at buying a 1983 GL1100. I've liked these original 'Wings since they first came out, that engine is so cool-looking! Anyway, what things should I look for before buying one, besides the obvious (i.e. all electrical and mechanical things work, no leaks or drips, etc)? The particular bike is in VA, which has state inspections, so if it has a current inspection, that will help alleviate some of my concerns. But is there anything specific to the GL1100 that I should look for?

Thanks

No particular "Achilles heel" I can think of at the moment. Electrical connections and fuses are an issue in any of the older bikes. The GLs are no exception.

the 83 1100 is a well built bike ....i always look at motor the
motor see where it might be leaking ...usealy there not leaking ....carbs can be a problem if its been sitting and could leaking in oil.....and make sure the sure the fan radiator is cycleing proper ...in reality there pretty sound bikes :mrgreen:

Thanks for the feedback, nice to know these older GWs are solidly built. I know being almost 30 years old I should expect to spend some money on maintenance and such (corroded fuses and electrical connections, dried out rubber, leaky seals, etc), but it's good knowing they don't have an "achilles' heel". Supposedly this bike has been restored, so when I get back to VA next week, I'll have a look and see.

I would also check the master cylinders...front and rear...just to make sure you are getting brake pedal pressure and front handle pressure and not leaking a lot.....i have an 83 aspencade....and it has a steel rear brake line....these rear master cylinders are hard to find...and if they are not worn out, they can be rebuilt with kits......Good luck.

The engine is like an old John Deer, almost bullet proof.

It sounds like your ready for the usual 30 year old bike repairs, that's good.
Other than that there are no real "gotchas" with these bikes except what prior owners have boogered up like slabghost said.

It should start easily and idle smooth.
Acceleration should be quick with a smooth drop to idle.
There should be no shimmy in the bars at any speed.
You should not hear or feel any clunks and only a small amount of vibration in the bars.
Braking is a bit weak but I've never had any trouble stopping when mashing them down.

Any other question we're happy to help.

The brakes on this GW are integrated, yes? Which lever activates the two discs, the front hand lever or the rear brake pedal? I used to have a '98 Guzzi V11 that had integrated brakes off the brake pedal. I never learned to like them, so I "disintegrated" them with new full floating rotors and s/s lines from Galfer, and a Brembo front master cylinder that I kept from a Ducati that I used to have. The front brakes were great after that, the rear no so much, but I was a lot more comfortable with using them. I liked the fact that the bike would "squat" under braking, as opposed to "diving", so maybe if the GW's integrated system uses the hand lever instead of the brake pedal, I might be okay with that setup.

they are integrated and from the foot brake. On the '83 you will have an anti-dive adjustment built into the front forks. If adjusted and functioning properly, I think you will like 'em. I do.

WindNWing":bi1zd8kx said:
they are integrated and from the foot brake. On the '83 you will have an anti-dive adjustment built into the front forks. If adjusted and functioning properly, I think you will like 'em. I do.

What Gary said. Anti-dive works pretty nice.