...where are the 1500's?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega Man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about where you live, but around here I see only one 1500 on the road for every hundred 1100 and 1800 combined. Plenty on Craigslist(no secret I want one), these folks just don't ride them here for some reason. Do you see many on the road where you live?

~O~

I have ridden both and prefer the 1500 over the 1800. It just rides better. It also has hydraulic valve lifters. I think the problem with the 1500 alternators is mostly the rear bearing. If it goes bad it spins in the case and ruins the case and is quite common I guess. The nice part is it takes an hour or less to change it. The Compufire alternator puts out 90 amps but it's $500+ (with the new agm battery).
The power of the 1800 is unbelievable and it is often called an "old mans crotch rocket"
All that being said, if I am alone or going 100 miles or less, I get the 83 out. It's just plain more fun to ride and it even sounds a little bit like a motorcycle.

Still see a few 1500's around here. I put 99.000 miles on my 1500 never had any problems with the alternator. Changed the brushes @ 60.000 miles.

mwbill37841":3kxd74yz said:
have you priced them? might be why you don't see many around :smilie_happy: :shock: :shock: :swoon:

Yes I have priced them, a low miles 1500 in very good condition can be had for under $6k even at the dealer!

dan filipi":khopiumu said:
mwbill37841":khopiumu said:
have you priced them? might be why you don't see many around :smilie_happy: :shock: :shock: :swoon:

Yes I have priced them, a low miles 1500 in very good condition can be had for under $6k even at the dealer!

ya they are pretty resonable up here too - as soon as I move some of the iron I have I will be buying one as well

Now that ya mention it, I don't see many around here either! Mostly 1800's. People think my naked 83 is a beemer! :smilie_happy:

There are plenty of 1500's around here! I personally know of two that each have well over 200,000 miles on them. A lot of 1800's are also on the road here. By the way...I gave $3000 for my 1993 GL1500. I love it!

yes CBH thats one heck of a deal you got ....if i knew of for 3000$ and looks and runs like yours ...id be all over it if i had the money for it .....im looking for a junker so to speak that could had for hundreds ...im sure ill be waiting .....for awhile for that to come along :hihihi:

My brother has 88 1500 81000 miles on it. Two wheel RV on wheels. He has had very little trouble with it. While on trip to colorado had trouble with kill switch, shorted out and battery wouldn't charge. He had to trade battery's back and forth with friend to get back home. And angle bank scensor and I think that is all the trouble he has had with it. He had 81 1100 before it and says he still misses it.

That is wheere I am at 3000 for a 91 interstate from my brother-in-laws estate. almost half paid for. When I sell the 1100 I will be able to get it. :music2: Hopfully shortly. :whistling: :ahem: Nice 578 mile ride home. :Egyptian: :Egyptian: