Winter project - '82 Refresh

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The headers are at the welder so will have to wait till next week for them. :whistling:

In the mean time I'm looking at muffler mounts. They have two mounting bosses with threaded holes and the rear one comes pretty close to where the GW muffler mount is on the frame (below the passenger foot peg). The thing I see as a potential problem is that the threaded holes on the mufflers are only for a 1/4" bolt and the hole is only about 1/4" deep. Seems kind of light duty for these mufflers which are about 7 lbs. I've thought about boring/threading the bolt hole for a bigger bolt size but am still stuck with 1/4" depth.

Any comments or suggestion about supporting the rear of the mufflers? :wave:

Thanks
Brian

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199113#p199113:2j7dtd9f said:
kerryb » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:58 am[/url]":2j7dtd9f]
For muffler mounts you could consider a strap to bridge the two 1/4" holes with a stud welded to it to utilize the existing goldwing mount.
:good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199113#p199113:1giwt4cu said:
kerryb » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:58 am[/url]":1giwt4cu]
For muffler mounts you could consider a strap to bridge the two 1/4" holes with a stud welded to it to utilize the existing goldwing mount.
One of us must be a mind reader because it was about 9:00 am when I making these straps to go between the holes :shock: . I might also put studs in the threaded bosses, as Joe suggested, and use locking nuts.

Now the weight of the muffler will be shared between 2 bolts instead of just 1.

I think I'll not go any further until I get the header back with the tips welded on. Also I feel like I might be getting the flu or a cold or something :heat:

(Ignore the long bolts)

Also only one of the mufflers came with these heavy duty HD clamps so I might have to buy another one.
But I also have 2 of these clamps for the GW cross-over tube that are pretty good. They're a little too big so I would have to make a spacers but they are "Honda" and those mufflers are now Honda mufflers...right?.. :whistling: .we'll sort of.

Taking a look at the left side where the centre stand comes up against a rubber bumper when in the up position. I bolted the left rear OE muffler support on to see how that looks.
I can't do much until I can get the mufflers mounted but I wouldn't want the centre stand to bang up against the muffler or flopping around so I think I need to figure out a way to include that bumper into the left muffler mount :headscratch:

I got my headers back from the welder today. :clapping: :music: Looks like a solid welding job.
First thing I did was bolt them on, stuck the mufflers on and started the old beast up. Sounds pretty good, :music2: not too loud but a nice deep tone. I will try and make a u-tube when I get everything bolted up and road worthy.

Managed to get the right side muffler mount done tonight. Used some 1" x 1/8" flat steel. Bent it into an offset to go to about the mid point of that bridge piece between the muffler mount studs.
Also I used the Honda muffler clamps.
I think it looks pretty good with the chrome shields on the heads. :lust:

Here is a shot of the new muffler with the OE muffler support, for the left side, bolted in place. You can see the centre stand bumper. The OE support and the new muff are a lot closer to each other than I imagined :shock: . Now I'm thinking maybe I can bolt the new muff to the OE or make a small bridge piece to connect them. :headscratch: :beg: So I will solve the centre stand bumper issue. :Egyptian:

For others who are looking for mufflers, if you can find them, it's a lot easier to just pick up an earlier pair of Sportster mufflers. Early 2000s. They only have a single mount point and no crossover. Makes fabricating a mounting bracket much easier. I found a pair that didn't even have soot in them.

IMG_4588 - Copy.JPG

Latest posts