Winter project - '82 Refresh

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I ended up doing, for the left side, is make an offset bracket, like on the right side. Let it extend past the cross piece and attached a bumper thing that I cut off of an OE muffler support. The bumper doesn't line up with the thing on the centre stand that is supposed to hit the bumper but another part of the CS hits the bumper so it doesn't bang my nice shiny muffler. :lust:
Now I'm painting the mounts and will put it together for good. I know I said I would get the mounts welded together but I'm too lazy. :lazy: :whistling:

I have 2 sets of harley mufflers in the attic, newer models, and they have no crossover holes. The cross over is done in the header assembly. I guess one of these days I need to do something with them.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199264#p199264:nxkx9u5m said:
brianinpa » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:32 am[/url]":nxkx9u5m]
If I remember correctly, 2004 was the first year that started to see the crossover tube.
I've seen the crossover between the header pipes on Sportsters but that wouldn't affect there mufflers. Is there another crossover on the newer ones?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=199260#p199260:34ks5s4j said:
desertrefugee » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:36 am[/url]":34ks5s4j]
For others who are looking for mufflers, if you can find them, it's a lot easier to just pick up an earlier pair of Sportster mufflers. Early 2000s. They only have a single mount point and no crossover. Makes fabricating a mounting bracket much easier. I found a pair that didn't even have soot in them.

file.php
Yes, that single mounting point would be way easier to deal with. :eek:k:

Yeah, it looks like the 2003 and previous did not have the crossover. 2004 to 2013 has a crossover right behind where the clamp would be.

1991-2003
91-03.png

2004-2013
untitled.png

Then it looks like anything after 2014 does not have the crossover again.

Thanks for that Brian...I never knew.

So I'm wondering why mine have 2 mounting points but no cross-over holes. I've been calling my mufflers "Sportster" but when I went back and look at the ad it says "Soft tail, Dyna". I figured they were the same thing but looks like not.

Latest posts