• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Gold Wing and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

wtb 1000 engine cases or complete with good cylinders

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDub

Supporting Member
Reaction score
need a gl1000 engine to go into my 75 restore project. took 2 sets of engine cases to machinist, who told me the corrosion needed boring. therefore, on "lay-off" budget this project is iceberg-ed until i find a case or another motor. bought new head gaskets, swapped the rocker pins, valves ok, seats ok, transmission great, seals A+, etc, etc, brake masters fine, forks re-sealed, gas tank restored totally, gauge clusters rebuilt, chrome not perfect but original exhaust, spoke wheels being rebuilt, going stock red antares paint, rebuilt the final drive, all, i need is my motor to paint and put this baby back on the road!

i have gone top-to-bottom and forgot to start with the cylinders......duh!!!

well i am in it this deep already, so this iceberg may be a $100 hurdle to order cases from salt lake but, if anyone sees this local to sacramento, ca please let me know if you have the key to my safe!

happy weekend,
Walt
615.517.5535 (smart-phone)

yes i would ...there are so many different mains and caps that it would be difficult or realy lucky to match everything ...ive got one bike thats runs godd and looked terrible ...so you never know ....yeah head gaskits what a rip off...im with you there id like to go that routebut head gaskits need to .075 thousant thick it seems ...if your motor is 75-77 its cutouts are probably deep enough for thinner head gaskits ...just a guess tho....cutouts on the piston deeper on early 1000s 75-77

Remember the machinist doesn't make any money if he doesn't bore or hone the cylinders.
There are probably thousands of these engines running as daily riders with worn cylinders to the point there's no visible crosshatch left and still getting over 140 compression.
I would assemble the best block and run with it.

Someone sells head gaskets for I think $30 a pair, can't remember who that is at the moment.

I'd hone it and put it together. Maybe make my own head gaskets from layers of material to a thickness of .075 or more. Using coppercoat gasket sealer on all the gasket material surfaces. That should be enough to test run the motor at least and may last indefinitely.

ok. that was all the arm twisting I needed. I will use the roll-a-gasket material, layer it up thickness tested with the vise. may add copper spray maybe not. will photo n post afterwards. will be good learning experiencr mixing pistons, rings, clutches, etc between the 75 and 78. that leaves me another case for another glass-top engine table for the man cave.

if it works great, if not, i'll save my new head gaskets for a better engine. al :salute: so, need pretty chrome for the "concourse quality" first edition restore. or can I fill my corroded chrome fenders with bondo? then goldplate spraypaint, then rechrome?

all feedback appreciated!