Blacking out an engine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajclockga

Reaction score
I'm doing a complete resto on a 81.I want to black out some parts of the engine,such as valve covers,timing cover,fuel pump,etc.What type of paint to use on aluminum?Can I use something like Rhino Liner to get the wrinkle type finish.Thanks

The PO I got my 81 from blacked out the engine and part of the exhaust. Now the paint is coming off in places and it's starting to look like sh*t! It looked pretty cool when I bought it, now I'm wondering if he used water colors or something. Uggh! It's going to be fun removing it all whenever I decide to tackle it.

Thats one of the things I was concerned about.How long has it been on?I'm not doing alot,and they'll be easy to get too.But mine are scuffed up a bit.And would not look good polished.And alot of the parts that are already blk I'm going to redo anyway.Do you know what kind of paint he used?

There are a few parts I painted on my bike that where previosly chrome.
A front air dam and the rear light bar to name a couple.
I first sandblasted the chrome and removed the smooth surface,then I primered the parts with a self etching primer.
Then I painted them with an automotive urethane paint.On the rear light bar I used vinyle pinstripes to macth the bikes and cleared over them.
The match is perfect,and the parts have held up great for five years now.Even behind the front tire.
Here are a couple pics that show the parts.

With the aluminum engine parts,if you cant blast,use a good paint stripper to get the existing clear off,then sand with 400 grit to etch the surface and follow up with a good self etching primer.You can get this in an aeresol if you do not have air.
Also.if no air,you can use VHTs ,DUPLI-COLORs or similer engine paint witch you can get in glossy or semi gloss black.Ive had good luck with these paints especially if you throw them in a toaster oven at 200 degrees to cure it.

Just a side note,the DUPLI COLOR semi gloss engine paint is a perfect shade for parts like gauge bezels and such where a high gloss just isnt right.

Attachments

• sidecovers 001.JPG
    sidecovers 001.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 201
  • N.C. 2010 061.JPG
    N.C. 2010 061.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 210
I have no idea what paint the guy used or when it was done. It looked pretty sweet when I got it but I've had it a little over a year and it still looks ok from a distance in weak light. :) It was probably cheap paint.

On another note...Man, that is one sweet wing and sidecar!!!!

Thank you
I do not know who made the side covers.I found them on EBAY and had to have them.They needed a couple clips and paint.I have seen theem on a couple 1200s but not an 1100.They do a great job keeping the heat away from me in the summer.

Dupli Color does offer a wrinkle finish that I believe needs heat to cure also,but I would still use a self etch primer,then a thin coat of black primer before applying the wrinkle finsh.That way if it does chip slightly,it is still black underneath.

Since I'm parting it out I'm going to play with the parts I was going to black out.Thinking of trying Rhino Liner.And trying to get that wrinkle finish.I'll post pic's.

Latest posts