Proper Course of Action for leaking head gasket?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never had any steam or visible vapor come out of the breather hose. Is it possible you overfilled the oil? The oil level should only be up to the center of the sight glass with the engine off and the bike on the centerstand.

I'd say it has cylinder pressure bleeding into motor crankcase and in radiator too ...time to pull the heads for sure ....should run it enough to check for noise from motor if motor sounds rather quiet ...that's a huge good sign and time to pulls heads ...things are looking good to me so far...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193777#p193777:31yo0zr6 said:
Lostboy Steve » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:36 pm[/url]":31yo0zr6]
dan filipi":31yo0zr6 said:
First video looks like steam to me.

Is there any steam coming out the exhaust?

No but if I let it idle a while and crank the throttle there is bluish white smoke which I amount to the extreme rich condition that I haven't worked out yet. I'm battling a few things at once here. It immediately disperses and doesn't linger like coolant smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue smoke is oil, which may be from your exhaust pipes having oil in them and burning off as it gets hot. If so, the blue smoke will eventually stop unless the oil is replenished by the engine. Errant thought : if you use an excessive amount of ATF in the gas tank, you will get light blue smoke from the exhausts until you dilute the mixture in the tank with fresh gasoline.
White smoke is steam, caused by water/antifreeze getting into the combustion chambers. OR if you live in a humid climate, you will get crankcase condensation as the motor cools down and outside air is sucked back into the lower end. Once the motor warms up, the condensation will vaporize and exit through the breather pipe.
Black smoke is unburned gasoline in the exhausts caused by "extreme rich condition" in carburetors.
:headscratch:

Fix the water pump seal and see if the symptoms go away.

PurpleGL1200I":3m15je2c said:
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193777#p193777:3m15je2c said:
Lostboy Steve » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:36 pm[/url]":3m15je2c]
dan filipi":3m15je2c said:
First video looks like steam to me.

Is there any steam coming out the exhaust?

No but if I let it idle a while and crank the throttle there is bluish white smoke which I amount to the extreme rich condition that I haven't worked out yet. I'm battling a few things at once here. It immediately disperses and doesn't linger like coolant smoke.

Blue smoke is oil, which may be from your exhaust pipes having oil in them and burning off as it gets hot. If so, the blue smoke will eventually stop unless the oil is replenished by the engine. Errant thought : if you use an excessive amount of ATF in the gas tank, you will get light blue smoke from the exhausts until you dilute the mixture in the tank with fresh gasoline.
White smoke is steam, caused by water/antifreeze getting into the combustion chambers. OR if you live in a humid climate, you will get crankcase condensation as the motor cools down and outside air is sucked back into the lower end. Once the motor warms up, the condensation will vaporize and exit through the breather pipe.
Black smoke is unburned gasoline in the exhausts caused by "extreme rich condition" in carburetors.
:headscratch:

Fix the water pump seal and see if the symptoms go away.

I already did the waterpump and seals. When I had a bad float in my corvair the smoke coming out of the exhaust was pure white. When I fixed the float it went away. There is no water to burn in a corvair.

Why would I have atf in the gas tank? The tank is clean and has fresh gas in it.

joedrum":3cxupjas said:
I'd say it has cylinder pressure bleeding into motor crankcase and in radiator too ...time to pull the heads for sure ....should run it enough to check for noise from motor if motor sounds rather quiet ...that's a huge good sign and time to pulls heads ...things are looking good to me so far...

There has never been noise in the engine other than some neutral noise that goes away in gear or when the clutch is pulled. I rode this thing to and from work for a week before the coolant and oil started to mix. I would say about 200 miles in total.

mcgovern61":1j8t7fy9 said:
I have never had any steam or visible vapor come out of the breather hose. Is it possible you overfilled the oil? The oil level should only be up to the center of the sight glass with the engine off and the bike on the centerstand.

No it's right where it should be. Ugh this is aggravating.

Yes raw gas entirely unburnt will create white smoke but will smell strongly of gasoline. Atf in the fuel keeps the entire fuel system clean, adds a little lubricity to each fuel charge giving it a little more power and mpg, and last it also keeps this new blend of gasoline stable for quite a while. So now you know why some of us use ATF in our fuel.

slabghost":356gg7a7 said:
Yes raw gas entirely unburnt will create white smoke but will smell strongly of gasoline. Atf in the fuel keeps the entire fuel system clean, adds a little lubricity to each fuel charge giving it a little more power and mpg, and last it also keeps this new blend of gasoline stable for quite a while. So now you know why some of us use ATF in our fuel.

Ah. I always used a little synthetic 2 stroke oil if I'm going to use anything.

Well I guess I'm pulling the heads. This is just too much coming out of the breather. There has to be something wrong.

And then people wonder why I think seriously about beating them to death after they pour some quick fix it shit into their engine.

c79fedffb00c28c858f11daa9f7b7820.jpg
7dc1ad6e4e1673c33c54f1728a1e9892.jpg
c47a1b59b61f70538570b58b007ff0dd.jpg

This thing is rekt.

Not only that but as I rotate the engine I hear compression from the oil return which in my mind means the other side is f#*ked too. Amazing, and this kids is why you never trust a leakdown test.

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: as I said early on I never seen such a motor like this one ...I think cooling system clean out is on the table :clapping: :rant: I'd say the gamble looking better really...

joedrum":26geudl6 said:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: as I said early on I never seen such a motor like this one ...I think cooling system clean out is on the table :clapping: :rant: I'd say the gamble looking better really...

Lol really?

Maybe what you can see, but what about all the nooks and crannies you can't see? I'm thinking you might need to find some elixir that will attack those deposits and find a way to circulate it through all the passages.

dan filipi":35v2g83j said:
Is that stuff hard and can it be dug out with long screw drivers and picks?

The best way to describe it would be like a dried hand cleaner. So it is kind of crusty but when you start to pick at it it becomes a slurry. Brake cleaner dries it out but doesn't necessarily clean it.

I think it might be time to swap engines. It's just the other one I have looks like sh%t externally.

desertrefugee":26ma8gue said:
Maybe what you can see, but what about all the nooks and crannies you can't see? I'm thinking you might need to find some elixir that will attack those deposits and find a way to circulate it through all the passages.

lol yeah and destroy my brand new Honda waterpump.

So after picking at the journals and using some brake clean, this is how it all dried.

d89bb3c07c1e4f522bbc9c12f6c5c58c.jpg

8ba24c1f638cb8875c9b1bc497a6c5f5.jpg

And here is my spare motor, like I said not much of a looker, but clean inside from what I can see.

130c421c4fe04508a28452233b395a15.jpg

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193825#p193825:1wmmoiz2 said:
Lostboy Steve » Yesterday, 2:48 pm[/url]":1wmmoiz2]
PurpleGL1200I":1wmmoiz2 said:
Why would I have atf in the gas tank? The tank is clean and has fresh gas in it.

Some of us add ATF as a fuel cleaner/stabilizer. I use 1 oz to 1 gal.

Latest posts