Proper Course of Action for leaking head gasket?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_8367.JPG

And here it is after I scrubbed it briskly on my way out the door this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clean up and paint. My '83 engine was really looking bad, but some elbow grease and a few coats of paint later.......

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

And then another paint job later:

image.php

mcgovern61":3gz8o143 said:
Clean up and paint. My '83 engine was really looking bad, but some elbow grease and a few coats of paint later.......

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

And then another paint job later:

image.php

Yeah that's what my spare is, an 83. I think it's time to cut my losses with this 82 engine. Maybe build it slowly on a bench or something. It really needs to come all the way apart to be cleaned.

Don't use coolant with silicates. Lol ok how about coolant with pumice? Cuz that's what this blue devil or whatever has turned into.

joedrum":12kbko07 said:
The 83 has some good gearing in my opinion...be good move if motor is sound

It spins free and has compression. lol that's about as best I can check. Ports look ok. A little carbon on the intake valves.

Joe I gotta say I was pretty satisfied with the 82 gearing. Although I believe I put the 83 drive axle on when I swapped the wheels so that could be why.

I think I'd paint the 83 motor and install it. That will give you plenty of time to get the 82 motor right.

slabghost":7idpubvg said:
I think I'd paint the 83 motor and install it. That will give you plenty of time to get the 82 motor right.

Yeah that's the plan now.

A lot of the problem is that I work 58hrs a week and have a pregnant wife and a 6 year old. So by the time I get home, spend some time with my boy, it's about 8pm and then I work till like 930 and then wind down and go to sleep only to be up and start the process over again.

So basically time is not on my side.

I know the schedule well. Thankfully I no longer have that many hours of work. One step at a time will get you there.

slabghost":2nzn36ek said:
I know the schedule well. Thankfully I no longer have that many hours of work. One step at a time will get you there.

Thanks man.

I really appreciate all you guys comments and help.

So after about an hour of wire brushing I finally got some paint on this thing. I'm using all the covers from my other engine so don't mind the overspray.

501f9bf6f27b1d70f56bf595b46e543d.jpg

cf0508d969b3b1fee1a4513dbe4b9d6b.jpg

I did something a bit different this time after viewing that beautiful dark engine, I thought keeping silver but going a few shades darker would be cool. I almost went gunmetal but then I found the paint + primer in "ancient nickel". First time I'm painting an engine without engine paint but I've seen it done plenty and should be ok.

With the engine out, I recommend changing the shifter seal, cooling tube o-rings, intake manifold o-rings, water tube gaskets, valve cover gasket/seals and tachometer drive seal. I did these on my '83 engine swap in 2010 and no drips or leaks since.

I would also pull the oil screen out on the bottom right side and check it for crud. :yes:

mcgovern61":t7ywh937 said:
With the engine out, I recommend changing the shifter seal, cooling tube o-rings, intake manifold o-rings, water tube gaskets, valve cover gasket/seals and tachometer drive seal. I did these on my '83 engine swap in 2010 and no drips or leaks since.

I would also pull the oil screen out on the bottom right side and check it for crud. :yes:

Yes sir! I'm swapping all that from the other engine, which was all brand new. The oil screen is a great tip! Thanks.

Latest posts