Proper Course of Action for leaking head gasket?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The oil screen was clear, I cleaned it up more anyway. There was a lot of black residue on the other side. The oil in this engine is black, but it was filled with fresh coolant so that's a plus. I got up at my normal 6am and while waiting for the rest of the house to wake I hit the frame with some epoxy frame paint and swapped the engine. Hopefully I'll get to swap the waterpump housing tonight and get the new timing belts on, although maybe I should hear it run before I do?

7fa4a2e9dd59fa56cda7dd4a6ca76283.jpg

0be7ce927176823f922922242aa2d2ef.jpg

b2f43d1339be012d20ba318d3b53aa4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I fired it up, by accident. I wanted to make sure the starter was engaging right because this engine was starterless. I assume they jacked it for the other engine. Idk. Anyway I didn't even have the fuel hooked up but I guess whatever was lingering in the carb was enough because all I did was tap the button and alive it was. I quickly shut it down since there was no oil or anything in the engine. Anyway, now I'm feeling more confident about this swap. I think this one has just been sitting for a long time hence the soot that separated itself from the black oil and is sitting wherever gravity can't get it. I figure after a few heat cycles and a hot oil drain it should all get cleaned out. I did swap the covers with the new waterpump. The 83 had a two wire neutral safety and the 82 is a single, so that was necessary anyway.

b7b2f10dd4f99ad9fca6044c76840d5d.jpg

cbb73cc90150cec3f93595f4a1d98b62.jpg

It sure was. The other engine took a good bit of cranking to fire up. Something else I wanted to mention since someone else reading this may experience something similar, I have to wonder the condition of the bores down low. Here's my thought; since the carb swap I couldn't get a good mid rpm range without a stumble and idle was inconsistent. Obviously the compression and leakdown tests concluded that everything was good as the piston reached tdc but I wonder how much vacuum the cylinders would pull. I wonder if because of the clogged waterways, the lower part of the bores warped and caused loss of suction and poor carburetor performance. I should have taken a vacuum reading but never did.

Just a warning before hand. These head gaskets are also likely original and so may also be near end of their service life. At least you won't have to deal with coolant additives in this motor if / when new head gaskets are needed. With a bit of luck the original motor will be ready to return to service by then. Looking real good with the new paint. Seems to me you'll be back on the road very soon.

So...... I ran it again for a few seconds, changed the belts, couldn't get the right side mark to line up perfectly but got it pretty close. I've done car timing belts about 1000 times and they're always spot on. Well, now that it's all together, right side is off a tooth. Lol of course. That's why you always run it again after you change belts. So now I'm going to try to get the covers off with the bike assembled and retime it. Unreal. But hey, it does run! This time around filling the coolant it held 28 inches of mercury even when I left it for a few minutes.

Lol.....I always loosen the vales up all the way then re snug adjuster till I get belts on ...makes it somewhat easier getting marks right .....Once your on the marks right ...you can move the each belt to its no load spot and set the tension ..do the same to other side ...then reset valves at .004...there's a write on it in tech reference I.think to set valves .....

Yeah I might have to do that.

Here's why you should park your bike with clean oil....

c318cb814b622b8d2712f60a91aa7fed.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8398.JPG
    IMG_8398.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 70
Ok, she's up and running. Timed correctly and everything in its right place. Single carb is set to "preferred" settings as were described in the paper that came with it.

Still studders sometimes or has a really bad bog mid throttle. Also, if I let it idle for a bit the left side (cylinders 2&4) load up and I again get some smoke. Two different engines, this one obviously in much better shape, same issue? This Chinese solex clone is a piece of shit. Plain and simple. There is raw fuel in the plenum right below the throttle plate. That can't be right, not for there to be this much where I could slosh it around.

Anyway, here's a video of it running.

https://youtu.be/ACnLu-fH3eU

[video]https://youtu.be/ACnLu-fH3eU[/video]

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194132#p194132:252c9pcx said:
Lostboy Steve » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:11 pm[/url]":252c9pcx]
Ah f&*k me, I forgot that for some reason my microphone isn't working.

PM sent!

Just rode it to work. Runs the same, and is now leaking gas from the carb somewhere while it's off. This is ridiculous. Now my new engine paint is destroyed.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194220#p194220:20etnqbx said:
Lostboy Steve » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:02 pm[/url]":20etnqbx]
Just rode it to work. Runs the same, and is now leaking gas from the carb somewhere while it's off. This is ridiculous. Now my new engine paint is destroyed.

:head bang: :doh:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194220#p194220:38vdsuwg said:
Lostboy Steve » August 4th, 2017, 7:02 am[/url]":38vdsuwg]

I rebuilt my carbs and they still leaked. Chose the single carb route and did have a few hiccups but dealing with one carb is easier than 4. Check out "The Wanderer part 2" running this engine on a single carb is amazing !

made2care":2vg69xwh said:
Oh really.should be an easy fix then.hope it's not a 32 pic 3

No it's a 34 pict 3 and I'm to the point where I think the carb is absolute junk I ordered a new one and will see.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194342#p194342:2gmdg094 said:
Lostboy Steve » Today, 3:43 pm[/url]":2gmdg094]
made2care":2gmdg094 said:
Oh really.should be an easy fix then.hope it's not a 32 pic 3

No it's a 34 pict 3 and I'm to the point where I think the carb is absolute junk I ordered a new one and will see.

Oops, that what I meant, 34-3. I have the same, think mine leaks into manifold
FYI , I went with a larger main jet

Mine is a Weber DFT 34/34, 2 barrel progressive, $95 from Stovebolt, works perfectly, no issues.

Although, having said that, I personally think, it being fired by a C5 ignition, (and the bulkhead removed,) has a lot to do with it having no issues.

Ha Ha.

Latest posts