Windows 10 upgrade

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think at least some of the stuff Joe is saying has been taken down is simply because whoever started the web site maybe lost interest or for whatever reason didn't want to maintain it any more. Same with this forum. All it would take is flipping the switch off and everything would be offline.
There is more to running and maintaining a web site than most know.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154922#p154922:32hiio16 said:
dan filipi » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:33 am[/url]":32hiio16]
I think at least some of the stuff Joe is saying has been taken down is simply because whoever started the web site maybe lost interest or for whatever reason didn't want to maintain it any more. Same with this forum. All it would take is flipping the switch off and everything would be offline.
There is more to running and maintaining a web site than most know.
+1 most people are not aware of true hosting costs and many sites were free for awhile. Some of these sites are removed when activity slows to a crawl as the free host works on traffic and sly ads to pay the bills :(

:popcorn:
Win 10 is already d-loaded on my PC, but I'm not gunna do the install at all for a while. Been seeing so many issues with it. Like others, Win7 has been the best so far...why mess with a good thing? I also want to do a complete backup on what I have now to another HD, just to be safe. :laptop:

Seems the motherboard drivers on my brothers computer aren't compatible with Windows 10, and it didn't recognize the video driver.
I told him to try Windows 8 drivers. Will see.

Caution
Windows 10 is missing drivers for alot of stuff. Like video, and other things. My son works at a Microsoft store and he stated yesterday was hell at store from people calling and coming in. Microsoft drop ball.

I imaged another drive and installed 10.

I think I like it Lol.
Definitely a different look.
Certain 'tiles' are pretty handy and laid out nice, like news and weather.

It seems a touch slower than Windows 7, but I wonder if it may be indexing in the background or something like this because occasionally the desktop icons refresh. That usually means something is updating.
I'm seeing the spinning 'busy' symbol more than I like.
FYI I'm running this on a 120 gig ssd, I7 (quad core) overclocked to 4.2 ghz, 16 gigs RAM so under Win 7 I rarely would see the spinning symbol if ever.

Fun to play with it for now.
When I need to I can plug in the 980 gig ssd with Win 7 on it.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155037#p155037:n842gn75 said:
Omega Man » 1 minute ago[/url]":n842gn75]
Pardon teh :0fftopic: but are SSDs plug and play?

~O~
Yes, and well worth the cost for their bump in speed. Night and day.
I've put an ssd in older laptops which now load faster than newer systems without an ssd.

Okay so I'm running 10 on the lappy now. It's too early to tell but I know one thing, after I installed the drivers(made for Win7 64bit btw) for my wireless printer it now works properly... 8.1 sucks. Everything still works and since I didn't really use WinMediaPlayer(I use VLC player) I haven't lost anything I need. I lost nothing media wise, and the computer is running faster, start up and shut down are amazingly fast compared to 8 and 8.1(for this machine).

Oh yeah, I turned all of the stuff Microsoft told me would make my life so much easier off during setup. :cheeky:

~O~

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154889#p154889:2lbmgiqo said:
RussL » July 29th, 2015, 5:41 pm[/url]":2lbmgiqo]
I took a long hard look at Win 10... I am on Win 7 and will not change... Win 10 is the first start of a "pay for everything extra"...
If you want to burn a disk,,, buy software that is compatible... Want media center,,, buy it... and so on...
I think this is a plan by Microsoft to put more money in its coffers...
I am a retired computer professional with a PhD in computer science... I will not take practice in this new scheme... Win 7 does everything I wnat and need it to do...

I have selected the upgrade option and am having second thoughts i agree windows 7 is working fine.

I understand Microsoft operating systems require proprietary software that folks may need for work or school so they're stuck having to pay to get along. But what I can't grasp is why people won't put forth the effort to try other OS's if for no other reason than to save money. I know we get comfortable using something familiar but when there is a learning curve to upgrade, why not expend that energy learning their way around Linux. I still use XP if I have to but then I dual boot and hardly use windows at all. I'm no computer genius so if I can do it these past 7 years then anyone can.

If it weren't for my windows based accounting software and my customer database app, I'd be all over Linux.
The simple fact viruses are nearly non existent on Linux would make it worth switching.
As you say, except for OS specific apps there is no reason to not ditch windows.

A small part of the problem is its still a Windows and to a lesser degree Apple world. 64 bit OS's aren't even the norm yet, and to be quite frank most people use their computers like an appliance.

I haven't installed 10(that I know of) but now my friggin printer won't work. Says no driver installed, but then says no driver needed. It will coy or scan, but I can't get anything to PRINT. I've un-installed/re-installed, but it still won't print....

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155209#p155209:16vb6vnu said:
AApple » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:10 am[/url]":16vb6vnu]
I haven't installed 10(that I know of) but now my friggin printer won't work. Says no driver installed, but then says no driver needed. It will coy or scan, but I can't get anything to PRINT. I've un-installed/re-installed, but it still won't print....

User error? :?

Latest posts