My build (another one)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=156369#p156369:sqgz64t1 said:
Denver » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:26 am[/url]":sqgz64t1]
Soldering iron will weld, melt it back together, :good: then fill in the seam with your bonding compound, for stronger & nicer job than a glue that wont hold at the core of the repair. :Doh2:

Hi that rapidfix is really great stuff, I have used it for filling and repairing Plastics, Fibre Glass, even ceramics it is quality stuff. I will show you the repair later as I am busy with it and will carry on after lucnh, I have just sanded it down and filled the low spots with body finishing past as it only needs about a 1/2 mm to fill.

Go here

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSmgEkbp5eM[/video]

Ian

I used it first on my sons Aprillia Falco, he cracked his bottom fairing, quit bad and a new one was big bucks he didn't have. I thought about glassing it from the rear and filling with filler but that thing flexes like it is alive. to make matter worse he pulled out a mounting screw which made the hole about a 1/2 inch instead of 5mm. So first off the crack was done rough up the edges, drill a small hole at the end of the crack as a stopper. ran a sharp edge down it and the used the glue and the filler powder, but what I did was to do it from the back, taped it together with some masking tape filled the crack with the liquid and then the powder a few times, let that dry off about 10 minutes and then just used the liquid on the front. I filled the hole by using a screw into a piece of wood that I then taped in place behind the fairing. Filled the hole like they do in the video, worked a 100%, he ran the bike for another 3 months before he sold it and it was still good then.

Okay so back, been a bit lazy this week and just worked on getting that busted panel back together. For your delight see below, I also decided to get off my butt and set up the mini gun and get the differential sorted. But that needs another coat. :whip:

Dif2.jpg

A bit nearer.

Dif1.jpg

side 4.jpg

side 2.jpg

View attachment 1

side panel repair 1.jpg

Okay so the rep is more or less done, need to put down some 2k primer filler, then I can start on the test top coat which will be a colour called Solar Black, which is a black pearl. Then two coats of clear with the cherry black or black cherry concentrate, then after a single top coat clear I will colour sand that down and then one final clear wet coat. I am hoping that that wont need to flattened but ether way. as it is a test panel I might just skip that last step. Then I take it back down to the under coat and do it all again, only this time all the panels to be done at the same time to have an even colour.

Right now I am also in a quandary, I am thinking of doing some sort of graphic in the paint. Now the question is what? Flames been done, ghost flames, been done, sexy babe, been done. So what does the GL conjure in your mind. Maybe I should just do a Golden Eagle, after all it is a "Gold Wing".

Attachments

• side 1.jpg
    side 1.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 82
  • side panel repair 4.jpg
    side panel repair 4.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 81
Nice looking so far. I would go for the bird, don't know about eagle (someone uses that) the 'goldwing bird' reminds me of a Phoeinix (sp?) or Egyptian looking bird, at least the 80s emblem

Okay so weather has turned here for the worse, got down two coats on the Dif and waiting now for a nice day for the last base coat. now I am thinking here on laying down some clear coats over the ivory powder coat and the ancillaries I will be painting too. that's part 1.
2 as it is cold I built up the rear brake caliper, so that is looking good too, new pistons, new seals and that small seal in the fluid way between the two parts, going to get new pads for the beast and one have preferences and reasons why, please.

Now I am tired and drugged (sleepers due to my pain) and it is now 23:56 over here in the UK, so I am off to my bed, where once I kiss the wife good night, stroke the dogs head goodnight I will switch on the materas massarging motors and send me off to cloud cookkoo land. Until the morning dudes keep safe . :lazy: :lazy: :lazy:

I ended up with this one Ian
Not as nice looking as the Sabre one but it does the job and the price was right especially as our dollar was worth more than the U.S. 70 cents it is currently.

Not done a lot on the build today but, I did get a third coat onto the final drive, so now have to decide do I clear coat it, I think I will, two coats to protect the paint. Just wondering if I should do the same to the frame which was powder coated along with various parts including the front brake calipers. The final drive is the same colour as the powder coat but it is paint so probably needs the protection of a clear coat. Not sure about the Powder coat. So the brakes now have new stainless steel pistons, new seals new bleed nipples and will have new SS braided lines front and back. I will get some pics out in the morning as it is quite late here in the UK now, in OZ it is Thursday and in the States it is coming up for depending where you live about 17:25 in South Dakota where my American family come from.

So for those that know, Elisabeth and I will be making a trip to the new family in about May 16. We will be there for about 4 to 5 weeks. I am hoping to not only make the acquaintance of my sisters and nephews and nieces, but with a bit of luck some of the guys on here that have become my bros too. So the trip will be Sioux Falls then onto Canton, I will have time for a sister in Richland MO. and Might even get some time in Florida! I have been told I am going riding in SD with my nieces husband and we will be taking some small arms ranging from .9mm up to Winchester 30 odd 6 and do some "plinking" But I do know that I will need another holiday when I get back.

On that I have inquired as to the cost of getting my bike to the states, let me say that I can buy a Bike there for less (or hire) and have quoted £3500 round trip. So unless I win the lottery BIG TIME the bike will stay in the UK.

I am sure it will be and with some luck maybe we can meet up with a few guy's just have to see, but right now got a small problem, the emblems on the rocker covers, has anyone had any success in cleaning and repainting them. They are real cheap ally, so if you smile at them too long they will melt. I have used a small pick to get out the greater part of the paint well 99% of it but the small areas between the letters are extremely difficult. Has anyone used a light acid or paint stripper, maybe aircraft paint stripper, any ideas?

And then come the problem of re painting them. I thought about enamelling them (not paint) but the temperatures required might just melt them, they are so cheap it is just low grade ally and stamped out not even cast in a mould. I have a pair that are pressed in and not screwed in like later versions. Or maybe the other way round, either way, they are very delicate and wont take much rough treatment. And being made of Coke tin ally they won't polish that well either. So if anyone had any luck i filing the voids with some sort of paint or other I would appreciate it.
Ian :BigGrin: :hi: :thanks:

Latest posts