81 1200 Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well theres no doubt to me the manifold is made for the 1000-1100 motor and intake horns ..so the 100o or 1100 intake horns would have to be used ...and the overall length of runners will be a bit short but workable i think ...if me id change the heads as the port at head will be smaller and have a lip there but again workable ....id say that all the quirks to this set up and 1200 motor

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170125#p170125:2oiuf85j said:
brianinpa » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:10 am[/url]":2oiuf85j]
When I did the 1100 motor, I polished the aluminum. I know it looks nice, but I also know it is a lot of work to get it to look good and keep it looking good. I am a less is better kind of a person, so for this motor, I am going this direction:

Black Night Metallic.

:good: :popcorn:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170125#p170125:bcbjv1l8 said:
brianinpa » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:10 pm[/url]":bcbjv1l8]
When I did the 1100 motor, I polished the aluminum. I know it looks nice, but I also know it is a lot of work to get it to look good and keep it looking good. I am a less is better kind of a person, so for this motor, I am going this direction:

Black Night Metallic.

I know I did quite a bit today, but damn - when I look at the motor, it looks like I am at the same place where I started at! :head bang: :rant:
I am liking that color big time!! :yes: :rocks:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170330#p170330:3dblln9h said:
dan filipi » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:54 am[/url]":3dblln9h]
Looks great Brian!
+1 :clapping:

My waiting continues for parts, so I looked at the SC intake again. This time I used the 1100 manifolds and this is what I get:

The alignment is perfect... it's just the reach that isn't quite what is needed. I have a couple of different thoughts of things to try, none of which are really better than the rest.

1. Remove the rubber from all the intake manifolds and find a longer piece of rubber to connect the intake to the horn. The problem is, once the rubber is removed there is only about 3/8" for a hose clamp to clamp on to.

2. Cut the Manifold runners in the middle and lengthen them with a piece of rubber hose. The problem is, then the inner surface of the runner isn't smooth which could disrupt the flow of the air/fuel mixture.

3. Lengthen the runners by welding a length of the same OD and ID aluminum tube onto all 4 runners. That just sounds expensive as I don't have a tig welder...

4. Scrap my intake and start from scratch and make a new intake.

Can anyone see a fix?

How about a rubber clamp/reducer that fits the outside if the horn clamps and the outside of the runners?

Couldn't remember what the intake looked like so I added a pic of the intake from your gallery.

image.php

That might work. I can space the intake evenly between both the sides and not see any air between the horn rubber and the intake, but there just isn't enough meat inside the horn rubber to clamp too. Clamping outside would solve that.

Latest posts