81 1200 Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I heard my ignition breath a sigh of relief... but then again, maybe that was me because I don't need to worry about misplacing it any more. :shock:

Checking things off the list.

Question.... will a 1100 starter work on a 1200 motor?

The case of the gearbox on the 1200 starter is cracked but it was working. I am not sure if I want to use it like it is.

Pretty sure if you do use the 1100 starter it needs the 1200 gear head. So best bet for peace of mind is replace it or get the housing welded.

It looks like they are the same, but it still doesn't fit. The gearbox is bigger, so there is a notch in the engine case for it, and the motor portion of the start appears to be smaller.

The crack is superficial (paint hides it), so for now, the motor stays.

Now onto the next challenge... finding the wire for the suspension air pressure light in the wire bundle. I am going to wire the OD circuit into that light so when I finish the tach conversion, I should have a homemade 1200 Standard tach.

I think I remember people using the 83 starter in the 84 motor. In 85 they were changed. I'm going by my memory, which is over-loaded. They may have swapped the gear head.

Unless not all 84 motors are made the same, there's no way an 1100 starter will bolt onto the 84 motor, the 84 motor I have at least, the block bolt holes are in a different place. The 1100 starter I have is pretty new and 4 brush. I so wanted it to fit. It sits on the shelf now awaiting the next 1100 project.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170112#p170112:2m36dnf2 said:
joedrum » 10 minutes ago[/url]":2m36dnf2]
i actually did that on a 86 motor ...1100 starter on 86 gear head ...now i have a complete 1000 starter rig in to work ...
Yeah but....you do things like jamming a PVC pipe coupling to hold the starter in place.
Works but.....

84's a problem child, :whistling: the standard's the worst. :hihihi: All sorts of unique parts to this model, :roll: & sadly the last of it's kind. :crying:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170113#p170113:2ad4kz90 said:
dan filipi » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:52 pm[/url]":2ad4kz90]
Unless not all 84 motors are made the same, there's no way an 1100 starter will bolt onto the 84 motor, the 84 motor I have at least, the block bolt holes are in a different place. The 1100 starter I have is pretty new and 4 brush. I so wanted it to fit. It sits on the shelf now awaiting the next 1100 project.

That's another reason I wanted to use the 1100 starter. Like your's, mine is going to sit on a self until (or if) I rebuilt the 81 motor.

I'll just leave this here...

HONDA GOLDWING GL1200 ENGIN

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mpo/5492199214.html

JUST PARTED OUT AN 86 HONDA GL1200 GOOD RUNNING ENGINE. CHARGING SYSTEM AND CLUTCH BOTH GOOD. 140 LBS AND ABOVE COMPRESSION ON ALL CYLINDERS. CALL FOR DETAILS OR OTHER GL1200 PARTS. show contact info

I've actually considered getting this myself, you know just because...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

When I did the 1100 motor, I polished the aluminum. I know it looks nice, but I also know it is a lot of work to get it to look good and keep it looking good. I am a less is better kind of a person, so for this motor, I am going this direction:

Black Night Metallic.

I know I did quite a bit today, but damn - when I look at the motor, it looks like I am at the same place where I started at! :head bang: :rant:

I never messed with a 1200 but I think, Serge said the 1100 manifold ells will work on a 1200...would that make the manifold fit ????
Just a thought.

Not sure. I think it is more than just the intake horns. I think the alingmemt for the intake ports is off, but I am not sure. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Latest posts