81 1200 Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170827#p170827:3ei7vagn said:
slabghost » 1 minute ago[/url]":3ei7vagn]
Switches may be positioned differently but to the best of my knowledge function the same.
Yes they all provide a ground to light the lights. Neutral, overdrive, oil light. I think the temp sensor is the same plug and compatible with the 1100. Same for the fan switch. That's all there is to hook up I think.
Well...ignition too.

The harness I am using is the 1100 harness because the 1200 harness was hacked up beyond belief. On the 1100 where one wire came from the bottom of the motor for the neutral switch, I now have three: neutral, OD, and a red/white wire that sends a signal to the ignition control module.

Neutral is no problem - I spliced that right into the 1100 wire. OD is going to get wired to the rear suspension warning light circuit (I just need to find it in the harness) so the light in the tach is lit when the motor is in OD.

My problem is that I am at at loss exactly what that red/white wire does as it appears to dead end at the ICM and only is activated when the transmission is in 4th gear.

Temp, oil, and fan will be just like before since there isn't any change.

My problem is that I am at at loss exactly what that red/white wire does as it appears to dead end at the ICM and only is activated when the transmission is in 4th gear.

Since ICM is not used with C5 I'd just tape it off and forget it.

Wires from the gear selector switch for 4th and 5th gear are signal wires to tell the ICM to adjust the timing via the vacuum control module inside the ICM which takes its it's vacuum source off the # 4 intake tube to the ICM. Since you have C5, the signal wires are no longer needed. The only wire you need from the gear selector switch is the neutral wire to facilitate start up. gallery/image_page.php?album_id=2003&image_id=19767

I need some electrical help... :help:

Shift Sensor.JPG

If I understand this correctly, the ground is applied to the OD light circuit when the transmission is shifted into OD. With that in mind, power is always present at the light bulb in the tach...

Is that correct?

Tonight was the :sensored: night!!!!

I bought this bike in 2010 and ever since I bought it, I have had an electrical gremlin in the front wiring bundle. I was working on the tach, the tach lights, and the OD light and the gremlin decided it was time to show it ugly head again. In the past, I have redone all of my connections for the Vetter fairing harness to the bike twice! When I started, all the lights worked, and then with all the movement of the wire bundles, none of the lights worked, then some of the lights worked, then none of the lights worked... you see where this went... I eventually figured out it was one of the BIG quick disconnects that would have been inside the headlight bucket. I disconnected it for good! Now I have the lights working correctly.

I didn't get to replace the fuse block like I had originally planned to do, but that is another evenings project.

Persistence pays off eventually, :yes: keeping at it gets the job done, :good: sooner or sometimes later. :smilie_happy:

Last night and this morning was a continuation of electrical work. I finished the tach, but realized the needle was rubbing the glass. I had to file down the stem on the tach and also the needle. I also replaced the red lense for the OD light with a green lense... this is most likely why the needle was rubbing the glass - requires a little more space.

I like it better green. :music:

Then it was on to the fuse block. The bussmann fuse block I got did not offer the option for an in line fuse which is what the parking lights needed so I used a separate in line fuse holder for that and I wired the Accessory wire directly to the stereo since it also has its own in line fuse in the fairing. That gives me two extra fuse ports for expansion :party:

Latest posts