81 1200 Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just be aware the stock cv carbs are designed to function with a little intake vacuum. No filter to provide that resistance will cause bad behavior. They should work though.

If stock carbs are good a good flat paper filter will give them some of the needed vacuum to function properly. If you are unsure of them you can try them on your other 1200. So I agree. Get it running and checked out then go scc.

I have one from an 02 Taurus on mine. It may have been for a gm 3.8 too, it was a leftover that fit the bill. Seems to work. The 1200 plenum is so big. Need to trim a bit to fit under frame gussets in the back. That is on my 1000. Yours may be slightly different.,

Putting the A frame into the carb's, with the top on filter will hold the filter down, :headscratch: but may need to add more fuel into the mixture, to make up for more air with no box around filter. :popcorn: Just a guess :whistling:

I just laid it on top, rubber side down. I cut the paper part of the element where each corner has to go under the frame gussets. It holds the back end in snugly. First runs it has just been farmer wired into place. I had to mess with jetting anyways from the schizoid conglomerate of parts.

Ahhhh, Spring is in the air and temps are in the mid 60's. I pulled the motor back out (I hope for the last time) because it's time to scrub a dub dub! 60,000 miles of West Virginia grime, leaves, and who knows what else left its mark, so now I left mine!!!

Next step, a little sanding and some paint. I have a set of OEM valve covers (these are the cheesy aftermarket chrome ones) so they are going to be sacrificed along with the same kind of timing belt covers and that hideous oil filter bowl!

When it cooled off, I put the bucket and scrubbing pad away and got the Dremel and sandpaper out and got back to this the ignition housing.

Before:

After:

When I finish sanding it and paint it, you'll never know that the little bee-hive was ever there.

Tomorrow I think I earned a trip to Harbor Freight to replace a bottle jack that keeps bleeding down on me... pulling a motor like that wasn't fun, so I'm not even thinking of installing it with it that way.

Yep. Paint hides a multitude of sins. So new valve covers huh? Are you planning to run the 1200 heads a while then? Bottle jack that bleeds down is wet scrap metal. HF has some nice ones.

Bearing shop's have a lot of seals, & O'rings. :roll: Might rebuild it for next to nothing. :headscratch:

1200 heads for a while until I get the 1100 heads redone, but that is going to take some time and money. I may as well enjoy it while I wait.

HF bottle Jacks are selling for $20 before any coupon. I'd rather spend the money and save the aggrivation of rebuilding it.

Latest posts