1200 into a 1000 chopped

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always recommend the relay mod to the ignition circuit just to take away the current from the switch. In this case you need to install a good battery into your bike before testing any further. You will be amazed how many electrical problems that are caused by a faulty battery or bad connections. With modern vehicles I will not attempt to run them on jumper cables or a faulty battery as there are too many components that can be damaged.

My battery was supposed to be delivered to my residence in the US last Saturday, but didn't come until Monday. I will get it Friday. It's a hundred miles away. I picked p a lithium for it. I hope it goes well. She charges right around 14 volts now.

I have most of my wiring figured out. I decided to put together what ever was fastest so I could ride the short season I have. So I tossed on some lights and back end off the Magna, headlight off eBay. I decided to make a seat pan from a sheet of abs I had laying around. I have seen the fiberglass and tin methods, I decided to try this. I pressed a piece of cardboard against the frame and cut it out. I added an inch around to fold over the frame rails.
image.jpg

I then marked the plastic and cut it out with tin snips.
Next I layed tape across the rails.
image.jpg

Then I placed he piece in the oven at 250 f for about 15 minutes, Neil it was pliable. I brought it quickly and with the help of he better half we placed it and rolled the edges over the rails. It sagged a bit on the tape in the middle.
image.jpg

With a torch you can heat up areas to adjust. I'll place some pads along the frame rails and then foam and a cover.
image.jpg

I had to trim some from the sides, 3/4" would have been enough. Seems neater than the fiberglass method. I might put another layer on for strength, or I might just glue some strips underneath to reinforce it some.

I mounted my turn signals up high. I think it makes it taller and not right. I have a little headlight. Too bad, it's going to get ridden. Changes later.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have my wiring pretty much done. Doh! Stupid! You never say that! I put on the passenger pegs and primed the tank and cooling fins. Tomorrow I get my battery and soon I am going to ride. I decided to roll it out of the garage to see what it looks like.
image.jpg

image.jpg
I can easily raise the front 2.5" by sliding the trees.
image.jpg
enough for today, I need to ride.

Im riding !!!! Holy crap, what snort to take off with. It has so much better gearing along with torque! I feel I'm in fifth gear too soon and I often take off in second gear with no problem. I have a 140/80/18 Lester in the back. I'm loving it so far. Got some bugs to work out. My electronic tach is worthless and my speedo isn't hooked up yet. It cackles and pops when decelerating. I just have some furnace filter across the top of the carbs for now, so my plenum is small. I'm happy with handling so far. The front is a bit stiff. The back is about right on the number one setting. There are seven to mess with. Slow turns in the parking lot are a breeze. Taking corners does feel different. I think it's the change in weight shift. With the raked out front, I guess the bigger motor and me make the weight a bit ore forward. I didn't get my seat back enough, but both feet hit the ground with room for bent knees. Tracks straight and true as near as I can tell. I'll try not to blow it up too soon. Thanks for all the help along the way. I sure ill be back for more.

Holy Shiola!!!!! This thing screams. I haven't ridden crotch rockets or other fast bikes before, but his thing ha some serious get-up-and-go. I spent some time doing he idle drop and synchronised gain today. I do have a flat sticking open too. But, but, but, but, but this thing freakin screams?,!!! I haven't gotten past third gear in an acceleration,, but it just jumps when you hit second and jumps when you hit third. My tach is useless, so I have no idea what rpm I'm at. I just shift because it sounds high, but he bike is still pulling hard. I will see if the wife will help do a few vids tonight and post. I am just tickled pink. I do have a kind of growling nose in he font end. It almost looks like my crank pulley and bolt are bent. I will take a few vids of that also.