1980 GL 1100 fuel injection

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis

Reaction score
Just signed up hope things all work out.

FYI I installed a Geo Metro Throttle body injection system on my 1980 GL 1100

You cant tell anything has been done on the outside of the bike.
Running a Megasquirt 1 controller. To control my fuel mixture and injection system.

I have put about 5,000 miles on my bike since i converted to injection and i think i have all the bugs almost worked out.
I'm into this bike with the conversion and paint over ^%*^?/'^% hours.

Welcome!! Yes a radical mod like that would take a huge time investment. I'd love to see and read how you did it. Has power or mileage improved?

Oh man I have just been waiting for someone to come up with a fuel injection system, Welcome to the site Travis, yes if you can fill us in on all the fun details that would be awesome...Maybe some photo's but we aren't pushy around here but thrilled anytime someone shows and tell's...Great idea man..

nice travis you will fit right in here,,,,ii see you have and LTD also ...how dose the 1100 FI compare to the 1200 LTD ....what a test mule to have right there....im rather clueless on FI ....but we do some rather out of the box mods around here......welcome travis :moped: :mrgreen:

That's awesome! We need details. I don't know many who have done it effectively, but I think it's the next step, and will open lots of other possibilities for performance improvements.

Thanks for the welcome.

I was tired of messing with the carbs, I wanted something i could hook my laptop up and make changes.
I found a old chevy geo metro 1990-1994 took the throttle body off of the car i used the throttle body becouse it had the pressure regulator and temp sensors bult in, it made the most compact setup to hide on the bike.
I'm not sure i would go with the single throught injector i would go with multi port with a single butterfly to control airflow, i will try to add pictures. I'm busy at work so i will reply when i can. I ended up building my own manafold so i could set the throttle body between the frame. I will try to send pictures. Any questions let me know.
Also built a new throttle possition sensor for the 85 ltd witch fixed all the idle problems.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGXPR4flrI0[/video]

(video link corrected-aapple)

Was thinking of trying that myself about a year ago.. but never got any further than a little research. The Metro and Tracker throttle bodys were ones I thought looked promising. Glad to see someone else thought so also. Can't wait to see pics of it.

Here are a few pictures of the manifold, fuel pump and manifold block for the fuel tank there are a few options that did not work, as you can see the fuel pump was originally mounted to the intake manafold but had issues with vaperlock so i cut a hole in the fuel tank and mounted the pump inside, the biggest problem i had was combining both coils into one spark signual for the ecu. I'm short of pictures but more will be coming as soon as i put a new engine in my bike just becouse i can. I would never go back to a carburated bike again. Nice to press the start button and have it fire up the first time. https://picasaweb.google.com/101953331979877455159/PicasaGoldwing?authkey=Gv1sRgCPurtKGp27uj2wE#

Performance is great. Milage rite now is 35-40 depending. I still have a low RPM hesitation i need to work out. On the subject of manifolds you will find out that you have to start from the throttlebody first because of the tight fit, up and down,side to side, front to back. If your trying to figure out how i made this manifold, the plenum is from 2 frying pans from walmart welded together. The flange for the throttlebody was cut from the origonal manifold from the car. I cant remember the size of tubing for the runners but you can measure your carbs to get that, I got mine from Spruce-Aircraft. The trick to bending the tubing with out kinking it is by taking the temper out it by taking a felt marker and marking all over the places you want to bend, Then take a torche and heat the aluminum evenly in that same area untail the ink from the marker Disipears then STOP. There might still be a shadow from the ink. you will have a couple of hours before it gets its hardness back again. To keep from pulling the sides in when you bend the tubing, put a rubber expantion plug in one end and fill it full of packed sand and plug the other end.
I hope this was helpfull coming from a 2 fingered typer. :heat:

You know...... With all the amazing things you guys are doing with your bikes, it makes me think I should have paid better attention in shop class. :oops:

Mark

MarkB":2k0nceoj said:
You know...... With all the amazing things you guys are doing with your bikes, it makes me think I should have paid better attention in shop class. :oops:

Mark
Nawww....my daughters never had shop class and at 16 years old and 12 years old respectively, they swapped out my engines and helped me restore my bike from the dead! Simple rule I told them..."a person put this bike together, a person can take it apart and fix it and you are a person". They jumped right in and never looked back!

Latest posts