1980 GL 1100 fuel injection

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100032#p100032:370hu2i4 said:
ekvh » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:31 pm[/url]":370hu2i4]
Time for a Travis bump. Anything new to report? Good summer of trouble free riding?
this is the part i like
I have put about 5,000 miles on my bike since i converted to injection
Running a Megasquirt 1 controller. To control my fuel mixture and injection system.
tbi info
I found a old chevy geo metro 1990-1994 took the throttle body off of the car i used the throttle body becouse it had the pressure regulator and temp sensors bult in, it made the most compact setup to hide on the bike.
On the subject of manifolds
you will find out that you have to start from the throttlebody first because of the tight fit, up and down,side to side, front to back. If your trying to figure out how i made this manifold, the plenum is from 2 frying pans from walmart welded together. The flange for the throttlebody was cut from the origonal manifold from the car. I cant remember the size of tubing for the runners but you can measure your carbs to get that, I got mine from Spruce-Aircraft.
pix https://plus.google.com/photos/10195333 ... KGp27uj2wE
Here are a few pictures of the manifold, fuel pump and manifold block for the fuel tank there are a few options that did not work, as you can see the fuel pump was originally mounted to the intake manafold but had issues with vaperlock so i cut a hole in the fuel tank and mounted the pump inside, the biggest problem i had was combining both coils into one spark signual for the ecu.

Hi. I know its been a while and a lot has changed, fuel injection is still working fine. I changed from Dodge Neon coil to Ford EDIS ignition and coil because my ECU will talk with it and I can set my timing to what ever I want it to be. I was having problems with the fan switch, so I am going to let the ECU control that as well, that way I can control the fan to come on and off at the temperature that I want it to be. I have had the Stator out 4 times now, the first stator change was a Nish brand and I could not get it to put out 200w, they warrantied that one with no problem. The next time Was when I had to pull the motor because the shaft that turns the ignition broke the locating pin that goes into the crank, the coil windings were burnt like it had been in a fire, so I had a good used one to try next. Now about 6000 miles later it stopped working as well, so now I have another bran new one on order, different brand. I am still not convinced on going to a poor boy conversion. I have posted a bunch of pictures of the conversion and in the next couple of days I will add a description to them. Fuel Injection is a lot of work but I still think its the way to go.

Travis

What's not to like?Other than the price. Early cams, adjustable fuel delivery, adjustable ignition. I bet that bike is a blast to ride.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100451#p100451:cobkhuxb said:
travis » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:17 am[/url]":cobkhuxb]
I changed from Dodge Neon coil to Ford EDIS ignition and coil because my ECU will talk with it and I can set my timing to what ever I want it to be.
is the ford edis a waste spark setup?

It is wasted spark but it will not hook up to your stock ignition, the Ford's Electronic Distributorless Ignition System (EDIS) is an ignition system that does NOT require a cam position signal. It can function with just a variable reluctor crank position sensor and a 36-1 tooth wheel (36-1 means '36 teeth minus one', and refers to 36 evenly spaced teeth, one of which has been removed). This setup sends a signal to the ECU then the ECU sends the signal back to the EDIS brain that tells it where to run the timing. without sending the signal to the ECU, your timing will stay at 10 degrees. EDIS-4, can be found on 1990 to 1993 1.9L 4 cylinder engines. I picked up the control modal, coil, spark plug wires, and the crank sensor for $40 at the junk yard. All the information on this can be found on Megasquirt by going to megamanual.com, you can find parts at diyautotune.com. Hope this was helpful

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100767#p100767:2sj95mpg said:
travis » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:35 am[/url]":2sj95mpg]
It is wasted spark but it will not hook up to your stock ignition, the Ford's Electronic Distributorless Ignition System (EDIS) is an ignition system that does NOT require a cam position signal. It can function with just a variable reluctor crank position sensor and a 36-1 tooth wheel (36-1 means '36 teeth minus one', and refers to 36 evenly spaced teeth, one of which has been removed). This setup sends a signal to the ECU then the ECU sends the signal back to the EDIS brain that tells it where to run the timing. without sending the signal to the ECU, your timing will stay at 10 degrees. EDIS-4, can be found on 1990 to 1993 1.9L 4 cylinder engines. I picked up the control modal, coil, spark plug wires, and the crank sensor for $40 at the junk yard. All the information on this can be found on Megasquirt by going to megamanual.com, you can find parts at diyautotune.com. Hope this was helpful
you betcha tx!

Latest posts