4 inch pulley anyone?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My pulley sit's flat against the end of the crankshaft as I can only imagine the others do also.
There is one important difference in mine, this is where the keyway comes in.
My pulley has a smaller center diameter which sits into the extension of the front timing belt pulley.
The key the pulley is taking advantage of is the one for the timing belt pulleys already there which sticks out just a tad further than the belt pulleys.

Where it says "Trim to fit" That is the extension that sits in the belt pulley.
The keyway dimensions are there just not on the drawing.

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

P.S. No need to trim anything to fit.
This pulley fits perfectly into the belt pulley when machined as drawn.
I would suggest though the pulley extension should be another 1/8" to aid in bolt and cover clearance.
This could be different on a 1200 but the drawing was made using a 1200 as a template.

dan filipi":3e6vykgg said:
My pulley sit's flat against the end of the crankshaft as I can only imagine the others do also.
There is one important difference in mine, this is where the keyway comes in.
My pulley has a smaller center diameter which sits into the extension of the front timing belt pulley.
The key the pulley is taking advantage of is the one for the timing belt pulleys already there which sticks out just a tad further than the belt pulleys.

Where it says "Trim to fit" That is the extension that sits in the belt pulley.
The keyway dimensions are there just not on the drawing.

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

P.S. No need to trim anything to fit.
This pulley fits perfectly into the belt pulley when machined as drawn.
I would suggest though the pulley extension should be another 1/8" to aid in bolt and cover clearance.
This could be different on a 1200 but the drawing was made using a 1200 as a template.
Dan what would you charge to sell one? he one I got from Bill is a V pulley with no notch. That is such a great idea. I have got everything to do the conversion except the belt and a circuit breaker or fuse. My altenator has sat for about4 years & in this damp climate, It seems to be sticking every coup[le of turns , so I may have to spend a little more mula on it to make it 100%. And I have to see if I can make the original 2.25" pulley from Don to fit the at. If not, will have to buy a 3 groove.

Attachments

• 250.jpg
    250.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 197
  • AND0169BB.jpg
    AND0169BB.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 205
That pulley is most impressive, so what alternator did you go with and the pulley on it is what size? You said it was a four groove belt so the that means the alt. is a four groove pulley, how many Amps is it? I wanna pull 14 volts at idle too :shock: [55amps]?

littlebeaver":1y8i4nju said:
That pulley is most impressive, so what alternator did you go with and the pulley on it is what size? You said it was a four groove belt so the that means the alt. is a four groove pulley, how many Amps is it? I wanna pull 14 volts at idle too :shock: [55amps]?
LB if you are talking to me, the pulley that cam with the alt is a v-groove.(see pics above). This is a racing alt about 4"diam & is 55amp. The pulley that I got from Poorboy for the crank is a 2" 3 groove. He now supplies a 4" I bought my kit about 4 years ago & it is a long story why it is still not installed. Hopefully this spring. What i don't know is if Don's original 2"er will fit on an alt. where as it was designed for the crank. Here is the supplier that I used. https://www.dbelectrical.com/p-4700-new- ... d0525.aspx Hope this helps out. :thank_you:

Fysty-1 you silly rabbit, washers ha ha...that's a perfect pulley there isn't it...It all makes perfect sense now when you can see the crank hole after the bolts been removed ...I'd say someone did a fine job machining that pulley...I'm very impressed..

I am also going with a 10" Perma-cool electric fan that is used as a pusher fan. The only thing that is critical here is when getting your fan you have to be absolutly sure of you clearance to the fender. This is what Sundance has done & what I will do as it eliminates the haveing to cut apart the stock fan. I will sell or give away my stock fan & my horns as you have to move one someplace else so I will move it & it's mate right off the bike & replace with a compact air horn.
Has anyone ever thought of using felt washers between the crank pully & the covers to aid in the reduction of dust getting into the timing belts? :yahoo: :music2:

fysty, if I'm understanding you have a 2" pulley for the crank and a 4" for the alternator?

That combination will under drive the alternator, it will turn way too slow.
You need the reverse, 4" on the crank 2" on the alternator.
A 2" 4 groove for the alternator should be easy to find at most alternator shops.

With this ratio I get about 14 volts at 950 idle.

I don't sell the pulleys but I do have a guy here can make them.
chasrogers here wants 2 of them so maybe we can put a order in for 3 or 4 and get a better price.
He once told me $75 each but that was a couple years ago now.
I'll be sending him the drawing again in the next couple days to get a price.

dan filipi":3vh82pma said:
fysty, if I'm understanding you have a 2" pulley for the crank and a 4" for the alternator?

That combination will under drive the alternator, it will turn way too slow.
You need the reverse, 4" on the crank 2" on the alternator.
A 2" 4 groove for the alternator should be easy to find at most alternator shops.

With this ratio I get about 14 volts at 950 idle.

I don't sell the pulleys but I do have a guy here can make them.
chasrogers here wants 2 of them so maybe we can put a order in for 3 or 4 and get a better price.
He once told me $75 each but that was a couple years ago now.
I'll be sending him the drawing again in the next couple days to get a price.
No Dan. The 2" is the original pulley thatDon sent with his kit and as you know most everybody wanted a 4" for the crank so they had the 2" supplied puley left over. & that is what I was refering to. I have a $' V-groove for the crank & my alt came with a 2"V-groove pulley, which I"ll have to replace when Iget your. hint hint :smilie_happy:

So he will be cutting them you will get a call from him saying there done and you will send them out to us...Is that how it's done..???? Sounds like a plan..

Is anyone making this pulley already?

I ask because my guy is a pro cnc shop so his price is high, besides that he's quoted me one time $140 each then another time $75 each.

Dan his price is good, really, take a look at the prices on some of the racing pullies on line, there in the $200.00 range...That pulley is custom made...It's a specialty item, I think most will agree $140 isn't too much...

littlebeaver":1g0ii930 said:
Dan his price is good, really, take a look at the prices on some of the racing pullies on line, there in the $200.00 range...That pulley is custom made...It's a specialty item, I think most will agree $140 isn't too much...
I agree. I paid a hundred bucks to Sundance( Bill) for the pulley he used and it is very plain. :mischief: :mischief: :mischief:

slabghost":qnxm4po9 said:
As long as my stator works I'll leave it. I'm not a fan of a lot of accessories.
I guess then you either ride only fair weather or you live in a year round riding area & as you are from Ohio that is not the case. What about heated clothing & or heated grips. In my case I have a good stator but by disconnecting the stator wiring & hooking up the alt, if the alt ever goes in the middle of nowhere I just disconnect it & re-hook up the stator & I am good to go & at least to get me to a service depot or home. But then I don't know what the output or reliability of th 1100 stators are but I do know the 1200's & it ain't good. :thanks: :yahoo:

I'll ride whenever the roads are not icy and temps are above 40 degrees. I wear heavy clothing and leathers with waterproof winter gloves. I disconnected my radio. The Cb is removed. Next will be LED lights on the bags. I stop for coffee to warm up.

slabghost":bsdgkvr4 said:
I'll ride whenever the roads are not icy and temps are above 40 degrees. I wear heavy clothing and leathers with waterproof winter gloves. I disconnected my radio. The Cb is removed. Next will be LED lights on the bags. I stop for coffee to warm up.
Sounds like what I used to do when I rode my Virago in Toronto in the winter. Put it puzzles me as to why you'd even post here if you have no intention to the conversion or have no advice or experience for those that do. Angela :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:

Say Angela, I haven't looked at GL1200goldwings.com yet. Is there enough interest in this pulley if I were to have a few made up?
If so that could reduce the price each.
I'm not looking to make anything on them, rather have it done to help out others.

fysty-1":3v2nr1iu said:
slabghost":3v2nr1iu said:
Sounds like what I used to do when I rode my Virago in Toronto in the winter. Put it puzzles me as to why you'd even post here if you have no intention to the conversion or have no advice or experience for those that do. Angela :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:
1st reason is mods such as this interest me. I am pretty good at figuring out mechanics so may have some advice. After reading several threads on this mod I may try it myself just for the dependability of an alternator. Not likely I'll ever be asked to ride in a parade or public function. I admire the engineering of this mod.

dan filipi":2lp2fkol said:
Say Angela, I haven't looked at GL1200goldwings.com yet. Is there enough interest in this pulley if I were to have a few made up?
If so that could reduce the price each.
I'm not looking to make anything on them, rather have it done to help out others.

Dan, I haven't paid much attention to this topic over there as of late but there was so much interest that Don has now included a 4" instead of a 2" in his kit & as well Bill makes or gets a pulley, but it is a V-groove. This is why I suggested you post the pulley detailes over there. You are still a member there are you not? I bet with all the new members over there & the interest from those conversion kits, would make it likely that you could get a bunch of interest there. Also with your drawing maybe one of the guys over there has his own shop & would be willing to do them up even cheaper than your guy. If I had someone near me that was able to do this I would, with the use of your drawing have them made for myself. Why don't you send Vic a PM along with your pics of the pulley & Timing pulley & see what he has to say. Don't forget the 1/8" extra you mentioned. I also suggested but got no responce about the use of a felt washer between the pulley & the timing covers, to cut down on the insersion of dust into the timing belt area. The er was a lot of concern about these conversions about water & dirt getting into the covers & I thought of this would be a cheap & easy fix. The washer only needs to be thick enough to fit snuggly in behind the pulley & have a hole the same size as the bolt or even a couple of thou smaller. This drag would cause no drag on the system @ all. Angela

Latest posts