4 inch pulley anyone?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some folks are saying a V belt pulley wouldn't be as thick as my 3 groove flat pulley.
Can someone measure the width of a V belt for me? I don't have one.

image.php

dan filipi":pewnvu2h said:
WindNWing":pewnvu2h said:
dan filipi":pewnvu2h said:
Some folks are saying a V belt pulley wouldn't be as thick as my 3 groove flat pulley.
Can someone measure the width of a V belt for me? I don't have one.
Dan,
Vee belts are offered in a lot of different sizes.
https://www.gates.com/catalogs/file_disp ... 5Ccatalogs

Forgot about that.
Whats a common car V belt width?
If there is no answer befor I get back, I'll find out.

i started to say 3/8. but i think so much in metric these days i was having trouble doing the coversion :Egyptian: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

i would have to agree. i didn't realize the 4" pulley was a three groove. i was thinking 4 groove. don't know why.
your picture shows a very similiar install to mine. different paths..same great outcome. looking forward to seeing it at the CG meet in august :music:

Hi, I've been following this thread with great interest and wouldn't mind using a V pulley just as stated because of room. Do you think one could use a Poly type pulley? And what might a price be for one made using the same format as the 4 inch pulley but one maybe made for a 3'' or 3 1/2" pulley in aluminum or poly??

i would think a poly would work. i went the REAL "poorboy" route. i used a lawnmower pulley i had laying around that had the correct size hole, and welded up the bearing to make it one piece, and manufactured a spacer out of an aluminum existing spacer with correct hole size. bought a longer bolt. pulley is about the same size as the alt. pulley. (can be bought new for less then $15 ) not high tech, but has worked very well for over 5 years. i just didn't see any reason to over think it. not saying its the only, or even the best way. just the way i did it

i would say and know that aluminum v pully tho everywhere are bad choice as they have stress spliting pressure put on them by the way v belts work ...id say poly would be the same ....they are better suited for flat pulley that could be machined reinforce better :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: of corse i used electric motors and stuff that are so much more demanding than altinator ...as cyborb says i would have done something simular to what he did and obviously its worked fine ....over thinking can be a huge problem in getting something done

my pulley is steel, and machined. not the two piece welded together. i agree on the aluminum. the only aluminum i used was for the spacer. also for the tensioner i used a chevy alt adjuster. the curved metal with a long slot in one end and a hole in the other. mounting the alt. pivoit point on the top fron motor mount, and the adjuster on the opposite top front motor mount. i used a chrome one from the auto parts store. looks pretty, and does not have to be modified

cyborg":3d0x5sva said:
i would think a poly would work. i went the REAL "poorboy" route. i used a lawnmower pulley i had laying around that had the correct size hole, and welded up the bearing to make it one piece, and manufactured a spacer out of an aluminum existing spacer with correct hole size. bought a longer bolt. pulley is about the same size as the alt. pulley. (can be bought new for less then $15 ) not high tech, but has worked very well for over 5 years. i just didn't see any reason to over think it. not saying its the only, or even the best way. just the way i did it I like the way you think Cyborg,......REAL "poorboy" :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:........LOL :salute: !! I'm like you, trying to keep it simple and with in due bounds of my wallet,...... CHEAP :hihihi: !!!! Thanks :hi: Bob

don't know where you are in indiana, but when you get it done i would lke to see it.. you know, "show me yours,....i'll show you mine". a bunch of guys are getting together the first weekend in may in aroura, (spelled wrong) in. real near cincinati. come on over snd we can compare notes

cyborg":3m7shwqk said:
my pulley is steel, and machined. not the two piece welded together. i agree on the aluminum. the only aluminum i used was for the spacer. also for the tensioner i used a chevy alt adjuster. the curved metal with a long slot in one end and a hole in the other. mounting the alt. pivoit point on the top fron motor mount, and the adjuster on the opposite top front motor mount. i used a chrome one from the auto parts store. looks pretty, and does not have to be modified

It didn't happen if there aint no pics :mrgreen:

i guess it didn't happen then :yes: i can't really do pics. but we will meet up someplace, some time, and you can check it out.
actually dan, i will try and get some sorts pictures to you on your email. if you want to post them, its o.k. by me

Gentlemen, I have just heard from a friend who is a machinist with a big firm near Toronto Ont & say with an intial order of 60 we should get them @ about $35.00 each Cnd. I figure if Dan handles this then there shoul be about 15-20 buck for shipping( still super cheap). I don't know how it would work but I guess the best way would be to send Dan the $$$'s and He could ship them out. So far I have Tomahawk, tumunga, detdrbuzzard, littlebeaver, mcgovern61 <>, & myself from this forum and after posting this I am going over to my other wing forums to compile a list there. I mention to Dan that I thought these should be done in Aluminum to cut down on rolling mass. If there are any others please chime in & I will add you to the list. Thanks Angela aka fysty-1 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

Latest posts