81 1200 Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too Joe, me too. The engine install should be really easy with no fuel tank or swing arm in. :yahoo:

I just need to take care not to scratch anything that has already been painted. :head bang: I think I will take those parts off just to make sure.

I'm throwing out the electrical life ring once again....

I am looking for a power source for the 1200 fuel pump that will turn off with the key and the kill switch. I was PMing Dan several weeks ago and I was just going to use a source that would turn off with the key, but I decided to go with the kill switch also.

Will the black/white wire going to the coils do that? I don't want to start poking wires, nor kill the battery looking for one. :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171583#p171583:28b088cv said:
dan filipi » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:35 pm[/url]":28b088cv]
Coil positive lead after the kill switch best place to tap in.

Is the black/white in the schematic?

Denver":28b088cv said:
Isn't that the way the factory wires the fuel pump? :headscratch: :popcorn:

I looks like it, but I suck at reading schematics...

It's been a while, but check to see if the accessory fuse doesn't fit the bill, with switch, & kill switch. :headscratch: Last time a electric fuel pump was hooked up to a guy's 1100, we had it wired to come on with key & kill with kill switch. Hit the key, with the kill switch in run mode, you hear pump turn on, to fill the carb's. Much quicker starts, a relay was wired in to make sure plenty of power got to the pump, & no wires got overloaded. :yes: Not sure if we used the accessory or not to switch on power to the relay :nea:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171587#p171587:2kunjlcm said:
brianinpa » 15 minutes ago[/url]":2kunjlcm]
Could one relay power both the ignition and the fuel pump or would it be better to use two?
One would be fine.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171588#p171588:24qi7122 said:
Denver » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:37 pm[/url]":24qi7122]
It's been a while, but check to see if the accessory fuse doesn't fit the bill, with switch, & kill switch. :headscratch: Last time a electric fuel pump was hooked up to a guy's 1100, we had it wired to come on with key & kill with kill switch. Hit the key, with the kill switch in run mode, you hear pump turn on, to fill the carb's. Much quicker starts, a relay was wired in to make sure plenty of power got to the pump, & no wires got overloaded. :yes: Not sure if we used the accessory or not to switch on power to the relay :nea:

When I replaced my fuse block, I wired my stereo directly to the hot wire for the accessory fuse.

Using that to trigger the relay, as well as your stereo, should be fine. :headscratch:Most stereo's do not require a lot of power :nea: If it does, use the relay to power both, pump uses very little power. :yes:

Well, I tried the stock fuel pump relay from the 1200I donor bike and had it wired in: hot lead coming from the fuse block, trigger lead coming from the kill switch and the output lead going to the fuel pump and got nothing... zip... nadda on the multi-meter when turning the key with or without the kill switch in run. So I decided to just say screw it and I bought a new relay, added a ground for the relay and then I was getting a click with 12 volts coming from the output lead.

:party:

I added a couple new wires to run from the relay to the fuel pump, and now I am ready to install the intake and carb and dump some fuel into it. I am just going to forgo installing the stock 1200 carbs and just go straight to the single carb.

Love the sound of an electric fuel pump in an 1100 kicking in. :yes: Sounds like victory! :smilie_happy: