81 1200 Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today was the day to start working on the rear wheel, but first I needed to make a fixture for the wheel to rest in.

Once that was done, off with the old and a good "Before" picture...

I've got most of those ridges removed, and have tried twice. I still have more to remove to get the tire bead to seat.

Yup and 36 and 40 grit flap discs.

71QGOzfi9iL.jpg

I don't want to be too aggressive so I am going slow.

Keep as much aluminum as you can from building up in the stone. It can build up and cause excessive heat which can cause the stone to break apart at speed.

V that's why I am switching between the two different tools. When I use the flap disc, the grinding wheel gets a break and can cool down, plus I am only taking off the minimum of material that way.

Joe In 2010 when I bought the 1100 and put the first 3000 miles on a new rear motorcycle tire before it failed, I new I wanted to try a CT on the bike. I just the 1200 parts bike to make it work. Loosing the 1100 motor was a good thing. :BigGrin:

Just wanted to be sure you were aware of the danger. I occasionally grind on scrap iron to clean out my stone if I use it on aluminum or brass.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=165785#p165785:2p3jqeqt said:
joedrum » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:28 am[/url]":2p3jqeqt]
bump ... i guess brians working a lot lately ...great thread here for for 1200 car tire mod :popcorn:

Actually, the temps are in the teens so it is too cold to do anything right now. Plus a tire iron got away from me and smacked me in the wrist so I am on the mend before I take another whack at it.

I'm not trying to hijack the tread, I'm wondering if anyone knows if this MOD can be done on a 1000?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=165799#p165799:1ifdgw7g said:
rob.lafady » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:23 am[/url]":1ifdgw7g]
I'm not trying to hijack the tread, I'm wondering if anyone knows if this MOD can be done on a 1000?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10317

Latest posts