81 1200 Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wrist has healed enough, the swelling has gone down, and most of the bruise is gone so I gave the rear wheel/tire another try. Well I guess I need to take off some more metal. I think I even heard the wheel laughing at me. :shock:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166152#p166152:zd7n1fs7 said:
slabghost » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:44 pm[/url]":zd7n1fs7]
Joe's wheel laughed at him quite a few times. Hang in there you'll get it.

I have not yet begun to fight... or something like that.

yep this mod comes to only the most determine ....it amazes me some used lube and air pressure to seat this rim on a car tire ...as far as doing it right like your doing brian ...seems it was six times i had it on and off before it seated ....i too thought i was never going to get it and it really was a battle of will

I am just about there. As I am putting air in the tire, I can see where the tire bead is stretching (for lack of a better term) but there just isn't quite enough room yet. One good thing, when I do it to the wheel that is on the 1200, I know it will be a lot quicker because I know how much has to come off.

I knew I was close to it, and since it is 20 degrees outside, I am glad it didn't take much longer tonight!

This part of the project is done. Next is to get it mounted and figure out how I can get a set of 1100 Progressive shocks to work on a 1200 swingarm. That should be interesting: sorta like a square peg in a round hole.

Oh man that looks so good! I've read of a few using 1200 shocks on 1100 bikes so I don't see what the problem may be. Might seem a bit short but with the new tire I doubt it.

I'm worried that the lower ring on the shock won't fit inside the receiver on the swingarm. I haven't tried to fit anything yet, but it just looks like it is going to be a tight fit.

Fingers crossed it fits. If not I'm sure that grinder will make it fit nicely. Too cold now to be out playing.

oh my im proud ....looks great ...seems there is a problem with 1100 shocks ...but i cant remember what it is but it what im using on hooches 1000 frame

this is what makes classic such a great forum ...this is 1200 wheel car tire done right ...with smart hands tech and absolutely safe to mount the tire ....go with 40lbs air pressure to start with ...

great work brian :yahoo:

Dampers, & springs are the difference, :headscratch: cans,seals, & boots are the same on these two bikes. :popcorn:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166259#p166259:1wlsgwx2 said:
Denver » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:37 am[/url]":1wlsgwx2]
Dampers, & springs are the difference, :headscratch: cans,seals, & boots are the same on these two bikes. :popcorn:

I am working with a set of Progressive 412s.

412-series_4.jpg.ashx

I want to avoid the air shocks if possible.

I have a set of 1000, 1100 (air and Progressive), and 1200, so I have several options. I know the ride I have from the Progressive 412s and really don't want to give it up.

Latest posts