81 1200 Project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really hate to leave off at a place with a bunch of questions, so tonight I set out to answer some of them!

1200 Shock is on the left and my Progressive 412 is on the right. Notice the difference? Well I knocked out the metal sleeve from the urethane bushing and the shock mount bolts fit and the shocks fit the 1200 swingarm. I changed the urethane bushings once (https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8006) so I guess I need to call Progressive and see if they have a solution for me before I just go and drill out the urethane bushing to the size that I need to accept the metal bushing from the stock 1200 shocks.

So then it was time to put some things back together, but I remembered that when I took the rear caliper off, there was a pretty serious ridge on the rotor.

So I resurfaced the rotor with my flap disc.

It is still within tolerances, but I may replace it just the same. I don't like the ridge on the inside.

So now was the moment of truth. How will this tire/wheel combination fit inside an 1100 frame?

Maybe it is just the angle, but I think I have more clearance with the car tire than I did with the motorcycle tire.

Then I found one more problem when I put the 1200 shocks on...

So as I stated, I had to answer that question for myself before stopping for the night. This is with the 1100 shock:

Looks like the 1100 shock is the way to go. Now I just have to make them work. But first, after grinding for several days on that wheel, there is aluminum dust/dirt all over my garage and tools are scattered everywhere. I guess I need to take a day off for cleaning up!

So with the 1200 shocks on the rear tire was on the ground with the centerstand down? Why not just use the 1200 centerstand? Or just leave it that way. It certainly would be easier to use. 1/2" plywood plate under it will raise the rear tire. 1100 shocks it seems though will lower the seat a bit. Just a bunch of questions really.

Well the progressives will look great on there for sure and a bit lower ride height will make it a little easier to back up when needed. I'm liking where this is going.

I just got off the phone with Progressive and it appears that the urethane bushing for the 1100 412 shock is the same as the 1200 412 shock. The difference is the metal sleeve that slips into the bushing. Parts are in the mail!

:party:

The list of things that need cleaning and painted keeps on growing, and growing, and growing! Now if only I had some temps that were conducive for painting and running water outside. :head bang:

They have always been helpful to me, with shock internal part's, seals, springs, dampers,& boots. :headscratch: Stock can's, with air fill part's can be reused, & left in place, saving you a lot of cash & work. :yes: A great upgrade, with the ability to change the height as well, with different the damper choices available. :good:

As I mentioned before, I need to put the 1100 ignition housing on the 1200 motor because the 1200 ignition housing will not accept the C5 ignition. In doing so, I wanted to remove the vacuum housing as I just don't want it on there any more.

When I took the vacuum housing off, it left a huge hole that needed to be filled. To do that, I bought these from Advance Auto.

They are just a little too large for the hole in the ignition housing, so I put a sanding wheel on my Drexel tool, and made it a little larger.

Most likely not to many people will ever need to worry about doing this as Paul doesn't sell the C5 kit that I have any longer, but there it is.

Well done! Very professional looking fix. You can use the old bolt to fill the hole or a rivet. A little paint and it'll look like it was always that way.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166402#p166402:1jlfawz5 said:
slabghost » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:28 pm[/url]":1jlfawz5]
Well done! Very professional looking fix. You can use the old bolt to fill the hole or a rivet. A little paint and it'll look like it was always that way.

JB Weld will work also. :BigGrin:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166407#p166407:dw05v95v said:
joedrum » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:15 pm[/url]":dw05v95v]
looks like the fix i did on cross over tube exhaust plug ...i used freeze plus ...nice job brian

I bought some for that purpose too.

If I didn't care what the motor/bake looked like when I was finished, I think I could make this work... but, since I want it too look at least 1/2 as nice as when I started, I think this is the first of many times that this motor is going into the frame.

At least I know for sure it fits, so now I can start working on things like the fan shroud, fuel pump and other wiring, hydraulic clutch, etc., etc., etc.

FINALLY!!!!

The temperature was higher than 10 degrees and my garage didn't feel like my freezer, so I was able to remove the clutch line from the 1200 frame and put it and the master cyliner on the 1100 frame. Then it was on to the carbs. The good, the bad, and the ugly...

They fit:

I only had to take the fan shroud off to get the carbs to fit in without tearing up the crossover tubes.

It's a tight fit:

And confirming what Denver has been saying, there is NO WAY the stock 1200 airbox it going to fit without a little bit of persuasion.

This has me re-thinking the idea of getting the bike running on the stock carbs first before switching to the Solex.

Latest posts