83' GL1100I Full dresser to shed some Pounds

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guy's are really getting me in the mood for another project, Riff Raff, that color is so cool looking, I think it looks fantasic , and all of westpl's photo's and postings are killer, you guy's are awesome..Thank's for sharing

Just got back into town, took a short excursion to California to visit family, & celebrate my mother-in-law turning 92 years young, and she still gets around really good and was cracking a lot of jokes the whole time.

Turning the GL15 into a naked bike will take some doing.

When i took off the body panels on my 88' GL15, to see what was under them, their are two Main wiring harness wire bundles running from the front of the frame running back to the rear of the frame with wire's branching out where needed.

These two wire harnesses, and the branching wire's need to be removed, then the wiring harness needs to be re routed from the Outside of the frame, to the Inside of the frame, where the harnesses will be hidden.

All Items that were mounted to the outside of the frame, need to be relocated to the inside of the frame.

Then body panels need to be fab'ed, then the Faux tank will need to be widened, so it can fit on that wider frame.

Vacuum hose's also need to be relocated to the inside of the frame, then as needed poke out from the inside of the frame where/As needed.

Hey Riff Raff that color is COOL,

Thanks for the kind words joedrum & litttlebeaver,

I want to start on another Bike project, but i need to finish my Truck project.

As i am converting a 67' Chevy Pickup, From a 230ci Inline 6cyl. to a 350ci-V8, also adding Power Brakes, & Power Steering, I am dropping the truck 3.5"front/ 5.0" Rear, it is a Total restoration.

Just Painted the entire frame, Previously painted the truck Body. Now I need to install the new engine/Trans. then start re-assembly.

Hey littlebeaver,

Since were talking about 1983' GL11, maybe that should be your next one.

But you already have a GL11, maybe a GL10, or a GL12.

I would like to have ridden that GL10 that I finished building for my brother-in-law, but he wouldn't let me ride it. It's funny cause i let him ride three or four of my bike's till he dumped my 88' GL15 over on it's side one time, he came to a stop on a pitched driveway, then leaned over toward the low side of the pitch, and lost it, him and my bike went over. From there on I realized that a GL15 was just way to much bike for him.

I had him stick to riding my auto-shifting (CVT trans) Suzuki Burgman 650cc Scooter. It's a fast 2 cylinder bike, But the weight Is really low, and it only weighs 500-lbs I went through the suspension on it and it handles Great, but it sit's much lower, and no shifting, he kinda had trouble shifting. He has a short inseam (short legs), and could not touch the ground very well as it was, probably my fault for putting him on the big boy bike, instead of keeping him on a trainer.

This all happened after a 200-mile day trip up through the mountains I was riding a GL18, he was on the GL15, it was a great ride, but at the peak of the mountain on a remote two lane road, we were riding about 45-50mph, when I sensed something and braked hard, hoping my Brother -law was looking straight ahead, and was not going to slam into me, he saw me and slowed.

Must have been my spidiey senses, that saved us.

It was a good thing i had Braked hard, 8-10 deers flew across the road in front of me, they were really moving. That would have been bad, very bad.

He said he had 18 motorcycles at one time, But it had been a few years since he had ridden, so i figured he was capable. and i think he was, but he needed lots of current practice. I am so glad he did not get really badly hurt.

We had gone on quite a few rides before this happened. We had fun it would be nice to going on some bike rides together with him again.

I think I have a pic from that day ride

Sorry wrong pic that's my 99' GL15 torn apart, I was doing a lot of maintenance, and cleaning.

Attachments

• P1000789.JPG
    P1000789.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 374
I am looking for a couple of cool color's to paint my two Oldwings

Current Colors
83' GL1100 Beige This color, need refresh, I like the toyota corolla beige, toyota calls it, Sandy Beach
86' GL1200 Wine (I like this color, but would need to be refreshed)

Colors I like;

Burnt Orange,
Copper,
Nantucket Blue, I have this Paint, but it is suppose to be touch up for my truck.
White with a stripe, I have the name of the shade, in the shop, but Ill have to get it another day

I was also considering

Tangerine, Kandy paint, this is a two or three coat Kandy color, that has either a silver or white base coat, a translucent, then a clear top coat.
Yellow Corvette color

Lits see white with a stripe??? does that come in a spray can???? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Acctually I am partial to the wineberry myself. But that may be because both of my 1100s are that color. The 80 came in brown but I redressed it in wineberry.

Nope,

Same Paint gun i painted my 67' Chevy Truck project with.

This is a decent paint gun, has a nice fine adjustment that practically paints by it self, and is easy to use, & almost eliminates any runs, but a little practice also helps.

Also painted the truck Frame with it

Here's a pic

Middle pic, Frame painted, & firewall painted
Bottom Pic, Firewall painted, Frame Not painted yet

None of these pics are the most current of the truck

I like the wineberry too, that is what color the 86' is but it need a refresh

Attachments

• P1010424 Compressed 398K.jpg
    P1010424 Compressed 398K.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 365
  • P1010528 Compressed 478k.jpg
    P1010528 Compressed 478k.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 360
  • P1010407 Compressed 398K.jpg
    P1010407 Compressed 398K.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 358
Prep is the most important part. I rough up surfaces with a re scotch-brite, then use Prep-all as a degreaser, and wax remover.

You want the paint to stick, I do not want to have to re do a paint job.

Then I set my paint gun to a fine setting much finer than a rattle can is capable of.

I had more runs from rattle cans, they put down too much paint in a small area.

I put down two to three fine coats of a compatible Primer enough for good coverage.

Then for Color coat, I put down two fine (Dry Coats) coats , then put two medium coats, and usually another Medium as a final coat.

I do like your Valkyrie seat, i have the same one in my shop, awaiting a victim

I Bought two Brand new fiberglass Batwing Fairings, i have them stored in my shop.

But i have thought of putting on a full windscreen with a quick removable windshield, less than 30 seconds no tools.

This way i could go between naked and full windshield in 30 seconds or less.

I also thought about a total de-badging of the stock saddle bags only NO TRUNK to keep the low look.

I have the stock Vetter Fairing and Saddle Bags & Trunk, they are all in great shape in storage in my shop.

I built my shop so that it has a lot of overhead storage.

Oh man, I love that color, you did a fine job on the bike, I love the way it looks, the fairing really brings it to life man, and the seat sure does look inviting...That bike is saying hey come ride me..If you listen real hard you will hear it...listen...really really sweet RR...

I left the saddlebags on my 81 - they're just too practical! And they don't look bad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk