'84 1200 engine for a '82 GW

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=183422#p183422:38d3nxu1 said:
slabghost » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:58 pm[/url]":38d3nxu1]
Crosshatch looks uneven and at wrong angle to me.

Thanks Slabghost. By wrong angle do you mean too steep or too flat. (Flat being if the hone was turning but no up/down)

For uneven...not sure about that. Maybe more honing needed. :headscratch:

Too steep an angle and too deep scratches. Try light oil on the hone and faster drill with slower hand. Bronko did a nice vid on this not long ago. Looking for it now.

Wow, he's running that drill way faster than I am. You can't see his crosshatch very well but I imagine it would be pretty flat.

I will take another look at my honing tomorrow. Thanks again Slabghost.

original crosshatch pattern.
file.php

That is a beautiful hone job. :shock: I bet Honda didn't have a bunch of old guys with electric drills in their engine plant. :nea: It really shows the best angle of crosshatch and the very shallow but uniform "scratches".

So I thought I would give it one more go using WD40 and a higher drill speed. I gave one cylinder 100 more strokes.

Newer honing
Before new honing with WD40
You can see the shallower angle crosshatchs over the older steep angle crosshatchs. Also there are way more, shallower scratchs for a more uniform finish. To me it looks much better.

Lesson learned; (thanks to Slabghost's comments, :good: ) is to use higher drill speed and a lubricant such as WD40 (and not Varsol :swoon: :nea: ). In any case I think this is it for the honing because I don't want to go too far with it and remove too much material.

yes looks ok and dont over do it ...hones are great really ....but me personally i use my own tools that i make ....to do my honing ....there is a perfect speed when using spring loaded stones ....and also stroke to get smooth running ...also glaze cut different and can cause uneven cutting ...but i think your fine where your at .....

FYI, I have some non-GW stuff that will be occupying my time for the next couple of weeks. By that time I should have my new rings and pick up where I left off.

Take care and ride safe.
Brian

Good job.

Job over, but for future reference: I use DEXTRON-III ATF as a honing fluid because it lubricates as it carries off the honing residue. I also use it as cooling fluid in the valve grinder, as a lubricant/cooling fluid for drilling holes, as penetrating fluid for rusty bolts & nuts, etc. Overall, ATF has almost as many uses as duct tape.

I've also found a dingle-berry (ball) hone does a better job than a flat hone because the ball hone doesn't need to be kept vertical to the cylinder to create the cross-hatching needed. 3 to 4 passes are all that is normally needed with a ball hone.

However, to each their own. If it works, it ain't wrong.

Tom

Waiting for rings so I figured I would work on putting the heads together. Here is something that is driving me nuts :head bang: .

The hydraulic lifter for #2 exhaust does not slide all the way in against the flat part on the rocker shaft. Here is how far that lifter goes in.

All the other other exhaust lifters slide in this much. It's at least a 1/8" difference.

I've pulled the shaft out and the lifter slides right through. When I put my shim measurement tool in, and push and can feel the shaft rotate to eliminate rocker clearance, and then compare with length of the lifter, it should go in further. I can even look down the lifter bore and see no obstruction.

Anyone come up against this?

Thanks
Brian