84 goldwing interstate 1200 start issues

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right. But i can not get the pullies to turn at all. I put a 19m socket on the center pully with both belts attached to it. I can not get it to turn to turn the pullies

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189132#p189132:148e7x2n said:
Macc304 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:40 am[/url]":148e7x2n]
Dont know why these post keeps posting the same one. Sorry guys.
oops! I removed one of the double posts and you removed the other.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189139#p189139:15sgpaki said:
Macc304 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:57 am[/url]":15sgpaki]
Right. But i can not get the pullies to turn at all. I put a 19m socket on the center pully with both belts attached to it. I can not get it to turn to turn the pullies
You don't want to move it unless you like changing valves and maybe pistons. If cams are not right the valve will hit the pistons.

Ok if i dont want to move them then how am i supposed to get both pullies pointint up?

Pull the spark plugs out and either put PB Blaster or ATV in the cylinders to lubricate the upper cylinder walls, back off on the valves to relieve pressure and like slab ghost said, don't turn the engine until you remove the belts and attempt to time the engine properly or you could bend a valve very easily. Timing is critical on these engines

remove the belts, spark plugs, valve covers, back off the valve adjusters. Then try to turn the crank bolt carefully when it does move. Since you've already been trying to move it I'd try backwards first.
Use the procedure in the manual to get the belts on right. Depending on how long it was sitting and what conditions it endured you may have corrosion on the cylinder walls or stuck valves or a number of other undesirable conditions.

Ok so i got the engine pulled. Now my question is to look at the starter clutchndo i have to take off everything in the back to get the cover off or just the bolts around it and it all pull off together?

So i got the back cover off and what came was absolutely disgusting. The oil was thick and sludgey. There is a strong smell of gas. And what looks like a small small aount of antifreeze sitting on the starter clutch. Do i need a new engine? I have pics but i can not get them to upload for some reason.

id say the gas is from the carbs and probably not a problem ...the antifreeze im not sure ...but i wouldnt throw in the towel now at all ....these are very tough motors for the most part ..

Ok ingot everything freed up. The crank is turning now. So with the engine out i took the starter off hooked a battery charger to it. The starter spins. I put the starter back on and it all lines up. Hooked the charger to it again. It spins but it wont turn the chain. When i turn the starter clutch one way the chain does not turn. When i turn the other the chain and starter turn. So im guessing the springs and rollers all need replaced? I know it brought up earlier. Im just trying to go through every possible thing it could be.

Think just not enough juice to the starter?

And i know ive asked alot of dumb questions on this thread and i apologize. But you all have been very helpful. Learned alot from yall. Thank you.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189159#p189159:2bv37zc3 said:
Macc304 » Today, 1:56 pm[/url]":2bv37zc3]
Think just not enough juice to the starter?

And i know ive asked alot of dumb questions on this thread and i apologize. But you all have been very helpful. Learned alot from yall. Thank you.
If the starter is turning but the chain doesn't then there's a problem with the starter, maybe the planetary gears are stripped.

While you have access, do the starter clutch rollers, springs and pins. The starter clutch is working fine as has been mentioned, only supposed to turn in one direction. Very little oil gets to the starter clutch area, and it does not have a good amount of flow and can be there for some time causing the rollers to stick and the springs (similar to a ball point pen in size and strength) as well.

Now that you have the engine turning over, just a matter of being methodical and getting it back in the bike.

I also agree, starter is probably an issue. There are posts on this and GWDocs on how to rebuild a starter. Give a look, can't hurt to go in and have a look. You will at least be able to give it a cleaning and get rid of the 30 odd years of brush dust. When you take it apart, match mark the casings and be careful when you remove the armature.

While you have the engine out, I'd have a look at the clutch stack. After 30 odd years, never know the condition. A set of friction plates is not that expensive and you don't want to pull the engine again for a possible clutch issue. Not much else in there you would have to contend with. This recommendation is predicated on the possibility of keeping and riding the bike.

Don't get discouraged, it's similar to an older car, lots of issues that need to be addressed one at a time. Good luck.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189112#p189112:2tffv5ag said:
backlander » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:55 pm[/url]":2tffv5ag]
Let's see, eBay, smaller starter, only one hole lines up to bolt on.....sounds like Chinese starter problems that have occurred before. Imo
Lets add the possibility that the starter is turning in the wrong rotation. If it is not a GL1200 starter, there is a strong possibility it is turning the wrong way. If so, that clutch will never catch!

Yeah i was thinking about the starter turning backwards last night. Gonna check today. But before i do that i want to get the timing straightened out. Now ive got the T mark lined up and belts off. But i can not get the outter pullies with the UP marked on them to turn fully to get them lined up. I am turning them clockwise. Any suggestions?

Latest posts