84 goldwing interstate 1200 start issues

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the spark plugs out, the pressure released on the valves and the belts off and with you being able to turn the engine over to line up the T-marks, the only thing I can think off that would prevent you from turning the pulleys would be bent valves.

remove the deforming chamber covers and the oil distribution plate then loosen or remove the five rocker arm assembly bolts. If you remove the assembly don't let the cam fall out of the head and remove or loosen the bolts in a criss cross pattern to keep from cocking the assembly sideways. I would just loosen them first to see if it will allow you to turn the pulleys

Ok. Got the timing done. Releasing the pressure on the valves worked. Got everything lined up. Everything turns easily now. Stays in time. Checked several times after cranking by hand. Starter clutch turns when i put the socket on it. Found out the starter was turning the wrong way. So got it turing right and the chain now spins when starter is engaged. But when it turns the chain the starter clutch does not move. Now is this because the engine is still out and not everything is hooked up or does the starter clutch need to be rebuilt with springs and rollers?

No the chain is turning the right way. It still only turns one way. The starter before was turning the wrong way and would not turn the chain. But now it is turning the right way and so is the chain.

Ok thats what i was thinking. Ill take it apart and have a look. Thanks everyone for the help.

Ok, so i got the starter clutch off and looked at the srpings and rollers. They all seem to in good workomg oder. Soni cleaned the hell out of them and lubed everything up. The quration i have now is how do i get the damn thing back on? I seen the video of the guy using the straws to hold the rollers back. However, the staryer clutch on mine does not have three small holes to do this. Ot has three larger holes but when i move the the rollers back the rollers block the holes. So how do i hols them back in oder to re enstall the starter clutch?

Ok i will give that a try. Thank yourl for the response. Id omagine that it would be countee clockwise since that is the way it engages.

Recommend replacing the springs before install. Inexpensive and do loose some design properties over time, but crucial little items.

Just a thought.

Agree with Dan, slip clutch on gently and turn to slip all the way on. There is a You Tube video about doing just this.

Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189300#p189300:3pyc8zrf said:
Macc304 » 29 minutes ago[/url]":3pyc8zrf]
Do you have the link?
I think it was bronko37 here that posted a video. I haven't been able to find it.

Ok so after all is said and done, once i get the starter clutch back om i should be able to hook the starter up and test it right? Or will i not know till i put it back in?

Ok did that. Now the starter and chain are still moving one direction only and the starter clutch itself is not moving.

No the clutch never did turn with the chain. When i crank it by socket the chain and clutch turn. When i mive rhe chain by hand the clutch does not turn. When i hook the starter up oy chain and starter move. Not the clutch. Only time the starter clutch moves is when i turn the crank on the back of the engine at the starter clutch with a socket.

Latest posts