Another exercise in absolute stupidity....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiegold

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, i was in the process of replacing carbs on my LTD . on top of the 75 carb rack , above number one cylinder is the air cut off valve. attached to the carb plenum with two screws. it's easier to remove/replace the rack if the valve body is undone and moved out of the way. in the process of putting this thing back on, i dropped one of the retaining screws. thought i heard it hit the floor, and indeed saw one of similar size on the floor.
no worries , i sez to self. got another one and bolted the carbs up. went to start the bike and soon came to realise the screw had actually fallen into the inlet of the head...... :head bang:
after much screaming, yelling, kicking of the dog etc etc, the only course of action was to remove the head. and there it was . the bastard screw . :blush:

two bent valves, screw shaped indents in piston top and below the exhaust valve in the head. so far ( strangely ) the valve seats look mostly untouched. i think they are very hard and the screw is very soft.
pictures may follow, if i can find the time inbetween destroying engines............ :sensored:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138841#p138841:cy8j4vmq said:
flash2002 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:31 am[/url]":cy8j4vmq]
If there's a hole, a crevice or a dark corner, that's where you will find the part you drop. :Awe:
+1
It's just a real bugger when it turns into a hand grenade :head bang: :(

here are some pictures of the carnage, the valve seats have some marks very close to the edges, but i am 99 per cent certain they are not in the area of the valve actually seating.
the head....
image.php

and the piston, couple of reasonabe indents, but i reckon if i smooth them down all will be good. :roll:
image.php

here is the slippery little culprit.... :blush: i reckon the fact that it was a soft alloy screw may have limited the damage... :sensored:
image.php

and the two bent valves.. :crying: :crying: :crying:
image.php

it looks to me your pretty dam lucky .....this can just happen .....sometimes it dont mater how good you are and how well you thought you had your guard up ... a punch gets through right on the nose sheesh ......

I could have done this so many times. From now on, I am going to keep looking when I drop any little bit. Only in the past year have I tried to remember to cover the openings.

Every time i come home from the store, i got a roll of tape in my hands. My wife as me, what do you do with all that tape. I tell her, it keeps me from screaming later. I am sorry for your bad luck, i have seen damage like that too, but i am opening a tape store soon.

I made a living as a Mechanic almost all my life , and I have done things like that , nobody ever called me a fool like I called myself..... but , i did learn a few things along the way. Never trust a Guess , Make Sure . :builder:

yes, it was a silly thing to do. not to mention the expense of new gaskets etc. but, it could have been much worse. the valve seats are undamaged and i reckon the indents will smooth out ok. as we say here ' she'll be right " but still kicking myself everyday. :oops:

With new valves you will have to seat them anyway by grinding in, not that I am trying to teach you anything (I am not a Mechanic (Professional then)) so as I looked at the pics I did see a near indent in one of the valve seats it may have just missed it. Either way it is a real F*CKUP when this happens, I always have the problem that I have more screws, nuts and bolts over than when I start, I don't get that either?

But I cannot fully picture in my mind the amount of work to get it to the point of starting and then to hear that horrible rattling sound must be soul destroying. So sorry mate.