Atila the Hun, 84 GL1200 disguised as a GL 1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the frame cuts are made, tomorrow I will pull the neck back to get the six degrees I'm looking for.
WP_20141116_010.jpg

That's what I plan to do tomorrow along with a little heat from a map torch to the hinge I left on the bottom of the neck where it's welded to the crossbrace. Kinda like felling a tree in the direction you want it to fall. :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

Looking good. Hope you get to snap a few pics of the actual bending process. Might work as well on 1000 or 1100's also. Mine ended up kinda ugly on the top of the radiator cross tubes.

Just finished making the bend on the neck of Atila. Here's the set up I used to pull it into place.
WP_20141117_001.jpg

On the back side of the bottom neck brace leave 1/2 in to both sides of the factory weld in the center of the brace, you can see where I was heating the "hinge".
WP_20141117_002.jpg

The red arrow to the left of center is the OEM rake angle of 28 degrees. After the bend, the new neck angle is 33 degrees, a gain of 5 degrees. I heated the bending points, especially the point in the above pic and pulled the neck back one click at a time until I reached my desired angle. The pressure was left on the neck until completely cooled naturally.
WP_20141117_004.jpg

gee mike :shock: its exactly like i would have.... been nice to have threaded cap on end of pull bar.....but sheesh great work ... if me from here id put some tension on the come along while welding it up ...treating all the welding as one bead moving around joint to joint .... this will really hold it right so much better than not tension as in possible movement as i see it ......great work mike :good:

More pics: This is what the back of bottom neck brace looks like after being cut.
WP_20141117_011.jpg

Top Rail notch: I made this notch to large, should only be made about a 3/16 in. V. Fortunately I saved the metal I removed so it's no biggie:
WP_20141117_010.jpg

Front upper main frame tubes above radiator cross tube: Leave hinge on backside so it can open on front but helps keep the neck centered. Tubes stayed pretty well aligned. Top of neck ended up 1/8 in twisted to right looking at it from the front but that will be realigned when final weld takes place.
WP_20141117_008.jpg

Neck brace gap: Measures 1/4 in. wide at the cut .
WP_20141117_007.jpg

Made a little progress, got the water pump, new o-rings & seals, front trans cover and the timing belts installed on Atila. Motor turns over smooth as glass.
WP_20141127_008.jpg
Now I got to decide which carb setup to go with, I modified a rack of OEM carbs and there ready to put on or I go with getting started on the dual plane intake manifold and 4-bbl carb set up I got in my brain running around. Atila the test bike, never know what's going to end up on this thing, but I bet it will be fun.

Mine too, so I just roll with the flow. :smilie_happy: :builder: I've spent the last hour digging through the trash because suddenly I thought I forgot to put the o-ring in that goes around the oil pump shaft seal, for the life of me I couldn't remember if I put the new one in, I remembered taking it out. Found the old one in the trash but second guessed myself, I have another engine with the trans cover off so I took it out of that engine, matched it up with the old one I found in the trash, so then I compared them to two o-rings left over,(I think there for the Oil Pump cover) and it was smaller, so after all that detective work, I convinced myself I actually did put the new one in. As if that wasn't good enough, I turned around, stubbed my toe on a tool box and went to the ground. But I'm whistling and smiling, I ain't letting nothing ruin my turkey day.

Can't believe it's been this long since I've posted on this project, only been able to work a little here and there as I've felt up to the task but got in a good week end of work this last one. Health is slowly improving. Since I can no longer weld due to Pacemaker a great friend of mine is doing the honors while I am serving as the apprentice, the pictures do not show where I have done my job of cleanup and making it pretty yet. lol. The method of raking the neck worked great and all the tubes were rejoined and you can hardly tell that a rake of 6 degrees was accomplished. I was very satisfied with the outcome.
5-15-16 Sidecar Work 019.jpg
5-15-16 Sidecar Work 018.jpg
5-15-16 Sidecar Work 035.jpg
5-15-16 Sidecar Work 037.jpg
5-15-16 Sidecar Work 036.jpg