Atila the Hun, 84 GL1200 disguised as a GL 1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I'm aware of the difference, but what I'm wondering is if there is any difference in measurements or anything that would hinder me from using the 84 std plastic to convert my 85 1200 aspencade to a "Plain Jane" Std? I'm aware of the difference in instrument panels and I'm modding the air compressor unit to fit inside the faux tank(not giving up adjustable suspension), if a standard tank will fit on mine.

I'm not familiar with how the std tank bolts on since I haven't purchased mine yet but I don't know of any reason that it would not work or be moded to work. Probably just require a little work in the mount area. My motto is if it don't fit, get a bigger hammer. :shock: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Just kidding, I plan on putting a 77 tank cover on this 84, that might be a small challenge since the frames are a little different and the electronics are mounted a little different.

Absolutly right Backlander

Yea it's possible

Here is a 1986' GL1200 Goldwing,

a 80'-83' GL1100 faux tank fits GL1200

Here's proof

Attachments

• P1000964 Web Page.jpg
    P1000964 Web Page.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 216
sorry another pic

These are older pictures she looks better now,

I made a rear mounting bracket and used the front bracket to mount it.

Attachments

• P1000972 Compressed 398kb.jpg
    P1000972 Compressed 398kb.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 219
  • P1000971(1) Document Compressed.jpg
    P1000971(1) Document Compressed.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 218
  • P1000981 License black.jpg
    P1000981 License black.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 220
. I've been restoring this gl1200 and while the aspencade is a nice looking bike, I'm under 25 and therefore not old enough to have the sense to sport full fairing(It'll probably hit me while riding down the interstate). I'm restoring the aspencade fairing to match the rest for winter riding, but I was fretting if the faux tank was going to fit up. No major issues then?

The only issue I see pyrog is the std tank matched with aspy fairing there is going to be approx. a two inch wide strip on each side that will be open and will let moe air come up beside the cover. That could get to be a little chilly in the winter.

No I have the faux tank and everything else for the aspencade. I'm restoring and painting it so when I want to change the std out for the aspy fairing, it'll be painted and ready to go. Plus if I ever wanted to sell the bike, not that I could ever see why, I can put the old fairing back on. I was referring to any issues with fitting the standard tank to the 85 gl1200 frame?

I had to go back and catch up on where I left off on this project which has finally made it's way to the top of the list. I have been anxious to get started on this one and all the setbacks with the 86 just caused more frustration because that meant delays getting to work on Atila.

As a refresher, I purchased Atila from a local wrecker company that pulled it from the scene of the crash. Seems the legal owners and the driver who purchased it two weeks previous to the wreck were not willing to pay the wrecker bill, and through all the red tape to be able to sell the bike to recoup the wrecker fee, it sat uncovered in the impound yard for approximately 6 months.

Since I bought it I have only been able to work on it while waiting for parts on the other projects I was working on. I have stripped the body off and I have fired it up and run it a short while to make sure I had something to work with. I talked with the one who wrecked it and he said he put new timing belts, new Airtex fuel pump, filter and fuel lines and battery on it right before the wreck, all that checked out to be true. This is the way she looked when I picked her up and also a pic of the way she looks now. There will be a lot of mods going on with this one.
IMG01317-20120814-1153.jpg
IMG01407-20120908-1222.jpg

Been working on Atila some, got her up on the lift, dropped the case guards, floorboards and the complete exhaust system.
IMG02232-20130821-1135.jpg
Found one header bolt broke off flush with the head, and I broke off the floorboard stud in the frame where the stock foot peg mounts. Degreased the final drive area and next is removal of the rear wheel to replace the tire and do a brake system flush.
IMG02234-20130821-1136.jpg
Looks like this will be the winter project this year.

:smilie_happy: Yeah, them king size mattress plastic bags new mattresses come in from down at the furniture store make great portable bike covers, free too. If I'd get off my butt and clean out the carport I'd be under a shed. :mrgreen: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Got her all cleaned up and ready to start fabrication of the body parts now. New tire on the rear, brake calipers flushed and checked, new EBC pads installed and brake system flushed with new DOT 4. Brakes are working as they should now. Received the 77 tank cover, ignition switch w/key from Brian today so I can start adapting all these 77 parts to this 84.........hopefully. Time to pick out a color for this beast too. Decided to mount a voltmeter where the fuel gauge was in the tank lid.
IMG02300-20130911-1015.jpg
IMG02339-20130927-1002.jpg

Latest posts