Atila the Hun, 84 GL1200 disguised as a GL 1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice Backlander,

It is looking really good.

I like the GL10 faux tank on the GL12.

Isn't it amazing how short, and narrow the goldwing is after you have it naked.

It is lighter to :mrgreen:

Rain has had me working on parts of the Atila project indoors the last few days. Got the tank cover and the radiator lowers stripped and ready for primer. Drilling out the spot welds on the shelter frame braces so I can remove and alter them to fit the 1200 frame and clear the gas tank and steering head. The 1200 steering head sits about three inches closer to the front down tubes than the 1000 frame and is causing all kinds of problems. The back shelter brace fits on top of the gas cap, what luck.
IMG02413-20130930-1602.jpg
IMG02420-20131002-1849.jpg
IMG02400-20130928-1339.jpg
IMG02406-20130928-1343.jpg

I wish that was the story joe but it ain't so. I got to channel the shelter and lower it on the frame like we used to do the old hot rods in the day. May have to make the shelter wider and add a strip of metal around the edge of the lid to fill in the gap. We'll see.

I got ready to swap out the handlebars on Atila, 84 model, with a set off one of my 85 models. It won't work. I've read numerous threads and arguments about the size of the goldwing handlebars. There is a difference in sizes used on these three models, the 85/86 models use 1 in. bars with ends swagged down to 7/8 in. for the controls. The 84 uses a straight 7/8 bar. That causes a problem, the clamp mounts won't clamp all the way down to put the 1 in. on the 7/8 top triple tree
IMG02492-20131103-1210.jpg
. I mounted them and this is what you get. The bars are also shaped different between the models
IMG02489-20131103-1059.jpg
. So I guess I will be buying some different bars, good excuse to get something custom. I wonder what size the 1000 and the 1100's are at the clamps. Anyone have a definite measurement at the clamp?

Lot's of 7/8" choices. I've not heard any complaints about the "super bar" . Supposed to be real comfortable. It is a lot lower than wing bars though.

I had the same thought when I took that picture, you and I share the same style photo studio Dan :smilie_happy: Actually I didn't want to clean off the workbench and that was the closest clean area I could find. :blush: Guess I'll check out this "super" bar V's talking about. Thanks for the info joe on the sizes.

I bought the euro bars for my '78 GL1000 with '75 motor that I'm turning cafe style. Tried them on and then stored them away until about a year's worth of work is done before they are mounted. 7/8" bars fit the clamps perfect (also the throttle tube slid right on, and brake/clutch perches fit nice). I'll have to do something with the over-long brake hose and cables, but that should be no big problem.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Time flies when life happens while your working on a project. Started on the body mock up today, feels great being under the shed and close to the tools without having to tote them in and out and cover stuff up from the weather.

This is the 77 rear fender hard mounted to the 84 frame using the factory bolt holes. I like the look of the big tire and how it fills up that fender.
WP_20140413_005.jpg
Also had an idea of making a "floating" fender that is mounted to swing arm and moves with the tire. Interesting huh !!

Put a factory style seat on and I'm not crazy about the look of this, could look better with rear rack on but I don't know. I'm thinking solo seat/with rack would look better.
WP_20140413_008.jpg

The plan all along is to use the Vetter 4 fairing, with interstate gauge cluster custom fitted to it. I was curious as to how a late model Ninja nose would look on a wing so crazy me had to try it just for looks. After all what better time with a stripped wing just sitting there. I think it may be on the "possible list" for a future project.
WP_20140413_014.jpg

Being able to work on your bike is satisfying, but I dearly love and enjoy being able to be creative and different. To me, building something that is uniquely yours is where it's at.

Tomorrow it's more of trying this or that to achieve what I'm looking for.

Latest posts