Atila the Hun, 84 GL1200 disguised as a GL 1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Initial mock up continues today with the 77 Vetter 4 and mount. The 77 mount will fit the 84 frame with very gentle prying, it was like hardly any at all. There are clearance problems with the turn signal cancel and dust shield mount that will have to be worked out. Also the front forks hit the same crossbar on the mount keeping it from having full lock to lock swing.
WP_20140415_004.jpg
It's been 35 years since I installed a vetter so does the mount sit level or does it have a little angle to it like this.
WP_20140415_010.jpg
Another question I have; is there a fork boot that fits this opening that goes with the Vetter or are they open air like this one ?
WP_20140415_017.jpg
The next pic shows that there should be plenty of room to mold into the fairing, the interstate gauge cluster beneath the headlamp adjuster knob, I haven't measured the cluster yet but it looks doable to me.
WP_20140415_015.jpg

Here are some pics with the fairing sitting on the mount with the angled mount and all. Opinions please on whether it looks relatively normal or not.
WP_20140415_013.jpg
WP_20140415_016.jpg
WP_20140415_019.jpg

Seems to me that the fairing should mount level at the bracket to fairing mount.. my 550 was that way.. and the hondaline fairing were developed by Vetter and then Honda copied or purchased rights to manufacture.. so I would say mounting area level and go from there..

wheres my hammer ....hmmm it sure will adjust this picture ....we need i icon of an aggressive hammer guy :builder: this guy just playing with that hammer :shock: :Doh2: hit the thing good :smilie_happy:

Joe, you reminded me of something my dad use to say, "if it don't fit, get a bigger hammer". :shock: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Actually, I went and looked at some pics in the gallery of Bobalou's and Gerry's and it is really pretty close to theirs. It probably looks like it sits high because it's on the lift and the suspension has extended some. :mrgreen: They have some good clear pics of the mounts on their bikes.

Thanks Brian, I'm familiar with his site but I guess I overlooked that part. I'll check it out. WOW, exactly what I was looking for Brian, the original instructions don't go into that much detail. Thanks again.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115149#p115149:3ow2xzr0 said:
backlander » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:54 am[/url]":3ow2xzr0]
Thanks Brian, I'm familiar with his site but I guess I overlooked that part. I'll check it out. WOW, exactly what I was looking for Brian, the original instructions don't go into that much detail. Thanks again.

I've been reading up on the subject... I got a Windjammer that is Black and Gold and a 1000 mount that might be put into service one day. :read:

Joe was right !! Use dat hammer !!! The mount is now in the proper position relative to a 1200 frame. Turn signal cancel clearance, lock to lock steering, 1 1/4 inch mount angle drop towards rear was all accomplished. All I have to do now is cut off the top tube cradles, lengthen the arms and turn the cradles to mount to the crossbar above the radiator.
WP_20140416_001.jpg
WP_20140416_004.jpg
An adapter plate will be made to move the faring to mount holes towards the rear of bike approx. 1 1/2 inches scooting the faring back a bit.

How it looks in it's new position.
WP_20140416_005.jpg

Trial fitting continues, measuring to see what needs to be altered to bring the lines of the bike together. Fairing backwards, tank cover a little lower and forward, end of rear fender a little lower to match curve of tire better, handle bars changed to have about half as much rise as the stock ones on it.
WP_20140418_003.jpg

Took everything back off, wanted to check some engine things even though I had it running before. Took radiator off for flushing and pressure test. Checked the water pump and it is toast, will have to be rebuilt, the "new timing belts, just put them on" says the PO, got so many weather cracks in them they look like my skin will have to be replaced and the timing was off by one tooth.
WP_20140418_010.jpg
This thing had K & L 15-0114 belts on it which I was not familiar with, checked them on the internet and they are for the 1200, and HIGH DOLLAR> 45 to 70 bucks apiece, forget that, I'll stick with my Gators, LOL

Guess I need to order some parts.

Latest posts