C5 ignition tune up and Road Trip!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190206#p190206:392xr0gv said:
chilidawg » Yesterday, 7:24 pm[/url]":392xr0gv]
Santa Fe NM. Finally made it out of Texas & broke the 1000 mile barrier today, a psychological plus.

No new photo's this time but tomorrow we go to Taos and check out the eagles nest, so should come back with some good material.
:clapping: :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190175#p190175:g2lnq4f8 said:
Ansimp » Fri May 05, 2017 9:04 am[/url]":g2lnq4f8]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190168#p190168:g2lnq4f8 said:
joedrum » Fri May 05, 2017 9:01 pm[/url]":g2lnq4f8]
wow rather treeless country through there ....nothing like a great ride
I think that's called desert Joe! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Great scenery. :good:

yep doesnt look like a good garden spot at all :shock:

Taos and the eagles nest NM. Are there enough trees in the second last picture for you Joe?

Completed the 240 mile round trip up to Taos and around the mountains today, hit an altitude of 9,700 feet at one point and didn't have to mess with carburation at all.

Those roads are not for the faint hearted or those with an inability to counter-steer.

Pop quiz. Who knows the name of the river in the gorge in the last photo? No googling, I'll post the answer tomorrow.

Well the photos came out back to front.

Attachments

• Taos and the Eagles nest 001.jpg
    Taos and the Eagles nest 001.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Taos and the Eagles nest 003.jpg
    Taos and the Eagles nest 003.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Taos and the Eagles nest 007.jpg
    Taos and the Eagles nest 007.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Taos and the Eagles nest 010.jpg
    Taos and the Eagles nest 010.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Taos and the Eagles nest 018.jpg
    Taos and the Eagles nest 018.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 50
Correct!!

I was convinced it was the Red River we where following down the mountain, I didn't know the Rio Grande came from the north
like that.

Attachments

• Taos and the Eagles nest 011.jpg
    Taos and the Eagles nest 011.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 111
Fort Sumner NM. What should have been a relatively short 146 mile ride across the New Mexican plains, turned into a virtual nightmare because of the brutal crosswinds.

Jon didn't have as much trouble as I did on the Harley because the frame mounted fairing on the Honda acts like a sail, but what I really don't get is how you can go 90 miles south with a crosswind from the right, then turn due east and still have the same crosswind from the right for the next 56 miles. it really sucked.

We are here because this is supposedly where Pat Garrett killed Billy the kid.

Roswell NM.

A much shorter ride today and much less wind, only 82 miles, but highway 20 out of Fort Sumner leaves a lot to be desired, the locals say that the state of New Mexico have worked hard to get it into this condition over the years and that if you get your speed right you can skip most of the bumps. They're actually right too!

Pictures from Fort Sumner, I'm more convinced about the Billy the kid thing now that I know the whole story.

Attachments

• Fort Sumner NM 007.jpg
    Fort Sumner NM 007.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Fort Sumner NM 004.jpg
    Fort Sumner NM 004.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Fort Sumner NM 002.jpg
    Fort Sumner NM 002.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 106
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190332#p190332:1almi6tv said:
slabghost » Tue May 09, 2017 12:44 pm[/url]":1almi6tv]
Aliens!? They look like my neighbors!

Maybe you could get them to do your yard work for you... :smilie_happy:

Big Spring TX.

220 miles of open plain and crosswinds, always crosswinds, never a headwind I could handle that, that's what that fairing was made for right? Or hey, what about a tailwind, that would be nice!

Still we're getting close to the shelter of the hill country now. And of course it does feel kinda good to be back in Texas, albeit 2 days from home.

Dang. I sorta stayed away from this thread because in the last C5 thread I joined, I got my tail feathers singed.

But, nice ride, CD! I've spent a fair amount of time riding Texas (lived in Houston for 5 years) and New Mexico is a neighbor. Been in a number of those spots - and that Rio Grande gorge north of Taos is a sight to see - from the bridge! We got dumped on while we were there. Seriously dumped on, but by the time we were leaving the rain had stopped.

Looking forward to, as Paul Harvey would say, "...the rest of the story". (Now that I'm not afraid of the C5 title)

Latest posts