Dad's 82

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After pulling the radiator (The coolant looked like new!), I checked the water pump - it's toast! There's about 1/16" side-to-side shaft movement. What I find interesting is this is not the original pump! And with only 49K on the clock! Hard to believe that 2 pumps have worn out that quickly. Maybe its 149K, but wow - what a well-kept machine!

After draining the oil, there it is...traces of coolant in the oil.

It's 100 degrees here today, so I didn't get any further into it. It's supposed to be decent the rest of the week...

Makes sense on the 149k miles Steve with the fact it is not the original water pump. Is Coolant in the oil on the GWs caused by the failed water pump or is there another problem? Great work as always identifying the critical areas :good:

In this case, I'm fairly confident that the water pump has leaked the coolant into the oil. If not, we have more serious issues to deal with. I'll know more once I get the front cover off.

OK - the front cover is off. The inside of the engine is very clean - Woo Hoo!! The seal on the oil pump will be replaced, and it looks like the coolant bypass might be plugged.

The water pump is bad. It doesn't turn smoothly, and the bearings are very loose. It's also definately not the original '82 pump.

The radiator looks like new, and will be flushed. The fan motor will be cleaned out and lubed, and new brushes installed if needed. The thermal switch and thermostat will also be tested.

So, all that's left to do is:
New water pump.
New oil pump seal.
New shifter shaft seal.
Install front cover with new gaskets.
New timing belts.
New tires.
Remove and flush fuel tank.
Restore carburetors.
Lube throttle, clutch and choke cables.
New fuel filter.
New spark plugs.
Flush and bleed brakes.
Check brake pads - replace as necessary.
Check ignition system, including advance units.
Check fork and shock seals - replace as necessary.
Check wheel, swingarm and steering head bearings - replace as necessary.
Check stator.
?????.

Hi Dan, If it is viable they may both be returning to Oz. Wait and see if we still love them as much after the ride :shock: May need to sell them to raise money to get home :smilie_happy:

Or use them as collateral to raise bail money... You know how those Australian bushrangers ride... Just look up "Ned Kelly." :moped:

Just ordered the new water pump and caliper seal kits for the bike from Western Honda. Thanks for the tip Placerville :good:

It's been awhile since I've posted any updates, so here's the latest:

Here's what I found when I pulled the rear wheel. I drained and cleaned the final drive, then filled it with ATF and stop-leak...hopefully it will swell the seal and keep the 90w oil inside.

All 3 brake calipers will need to be rebuilt. The rubber has deteriorated, but they're not siezed!

Pretty new tires arrived - they'll be mounted and balanced this week.

The timing belts will be replaced. I believe these are the original belts, and they're very loose! Fortunately, they didn't jump a tooth or more...

Today, I pulled the carbs...

The bowls are pretty clean, and the gaskets are good.

The primary jets - not so clean.

All 4 air cut-off valves are bad. Parts of them are almost liquid, and you can see through them.

The accelerator pump diaphragm is also useless.

The rest of the carb parts are in pretty good shape.

All apart and ready for cleaning up...

The new battery is installed, and the electrical system checks out great! I'll check the stator output once she's running.

The forks and shocks are clean and are still holding air pressure. I'll change the oil in the forks.

I really can't wait to hear this baby running! Such a purrrdy machine!

just about all the things that can be on a wing is showing up on this one ...sheesh ....obvious something strong tore up carb parts ..shifter seal water pump final drive ...I should go to your organizing class I sure need it ....nice work steve this one looks like it going to take a bunch TLC to get right :mrgreen:

One thing is for sure Joe, Steve is definitely thorough and organised :good:

Here's the latest on the '82:

I finally got around to having the new tires mounted and balanced, and I installed the rotors that Tony sent. They have quite a bit more meat than the originals...

And the rear...

I replaced the timing belts...

...Making sure all the marks are lined up...

Next on the list was the water pump. Not cheap, but worth the peace of mind.

Mmmmm... new seals!

Finally got all the old gasket removed! One of few aspects of engine work that I don't enjoy.

...And she's all buttoned up.

Next - the carburetors! The bodies cleaned up nicely.

As did the float bowls.

Had a little setback when the wrong cut-off valves arrived - notice the stem...

However, I had recently installed a new set in my '83 carbs. It's still a long way from coming together, so I used them in the '82. This is the proper stem...

I built a small parts cleaner out of a soda bottle, a wire coat hanger, a VCR servo motor and some duct tape. I sprayed in a can of brake cleaner, put all the small bits and pieces in, hooked up a 12 volt supply and let it run for several hours. It cleaned things up very nicely!

And, finally, the carbs are assembled and ready for testing.

Tomorrow, they get filled to test for leaks, the float valves and accelerator pump. :beg:

Latest posts