Dad's 82

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=92825#p92825:gpuacb6a said:
mwbill37841 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:24 pm[/url]":gpuacb6a]
FOSTERS?
If I have too :yes:

I disassembled the starter, and it's typical of what I've read in the forums. Both brush wire screws were loose, the added resistance heated things up, insulation became brittle, and things just disintegrated.

You can see the blue metal in the ground post from the heat.

The insulation on the positive brush didn't care much for the heat, either.

There's plenty of metal left on the commutator, so it should clean up nicely.

The reduction gears, bearings and bushings are all OK. The grease is a bit dry, and the rebuild kit includes all the parts that can be replaced. I got one for my '83, now I'll get another for this one.

With the rebuilt '83 starter on the bike, you just touch the button for an instant and it's running. With the starter drawing less current, the coils should be giving a much better spark. All is good!

Excellent Steve. We are finally on the road and in Vegas without Dad and the 82. Off to Durango in the morning if everything goes well :moped:

A Rats Nest siting in Las Vegas, and Randy came out to visit us. Yeah! Thanks Randy!

Attachments

• IMAG0694.jpg
    IMAG0694.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG0693.jpg
    IMAG0693.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 77
Aww, sorry Dad didn't go along after all. I hope it was his decision and not any other issues...

I'm glad Randy got to meet you - very cool! Be safe, and enjoy the rides!!!

Well, it looks like fantasies do come true! I met with Tony and Kim today, and they've decided to sell me the '82! Tony will have the Rat's Nest shipped to Australia, and I'm now officially a member of the MBS club! Woo-hoo!

It's been an honor and a pleasure to meet the Wade family! They're one of the nicest bunch of folks I've ever met! The last 6 months have been quite an adventure, thanks to the Wades, and of course this forum! Thanks to all!!!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :good: :good: :good: :salute:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=95004#p95004:6gkbpsue said:
Steve83 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:53 am[/url]":6gkbpsue]
...I met with Tony and Kim today, and they've decided to sell me the '82! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :good: :good: :good: :salute:

AWESOME!!! :clapping: :yahoo:
It's goin to a good home, that's fer sher!! :eek:k: :yes:

Steve it only made sense for you to be the final owner, as you pored so much love and sweat into getting these bikes into fighting shape. And now they really PURRRRRR!

CONGRATULATIONS - she's a Sweet Ride and will treat you well in return!

Thank You for ALL that you have done for us, and enabling a great family reunion and letting the 3 Stooges Ride together!

Latest posts