Dad's 82

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took her for a ride today, and from what I can tell, all is good! The clutch and transmission feel smooth, brakes are good, plenty of torque - even the turn signal cancelling circuit works! And what a beauty!

Enjoy, Mr. Wade!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=85292#p85292:2wxabj17 said:
Steve83 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:03 pm[/url]":2wxabj17]Well, she's all back together, and just about ready for the Wade's August Ride (W.A.R.!!!) A little more carb adjusting and some rear brake finishing - she's pretty much done! Tony, I'm very envious of your Dad - this is one sweet ride! Of course, I fell in love with the Rat's Nest as well... Gotta love these OldWings!!!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdYaPL2cbtY[/video]

Someday, my '83 will be together and I can make more videos.
Great sounding and looking wing :rocks: :rocks: :rocks:

Steve - She sure Looks Good! You have a way with these old gals, making them feel and look young again!

I was on the Rats Nest the other day for a quick ride around the neighborhood, and I was amazed at how nimble they feel and handle at low speeds. Figure eights and tight 360 turns are easily managed. My V-Twin is envious of the cool-down fan that kicks in after a hot run... Great to see all this technology come to life again! You are Truly the MASTER!!

Looks like it is off to Altadena again. I thought we may of had low voltage to the coils as the only way to start her was to select off whilst cranking and then select run and away she went. That all came to a halt this afternoon while Dad was getting in his familiarisation ride around the block. I will test connection voltage tomorrow and make sure that it is definitely starter before making the 160 mile round trip again (even though it is great to spend more time with Steve) I am also chasing a new speedo cable for the Rats Nest as it failed on the ride home from Steve's on Saturday. Our trip is getting shorter but hopefully we will get the reliability back into these beautiful old girls before we go. Kim and I spend about 6 hours washing and polishing them both and even the Rats Nest looks a million dollars now. I will take photos and post them ASAP before we get them dirty again.

In a perfect world the bikes will make it down south but we won't make any decisions until after we have done some real miles here. My personal goal is to ride the San Juan Skyway in Colorado and anything else is just a bonus. That said when my brother asked me where do I want to ride I said " I just want to ride". I am definitely more interested in riding than destinations. I am loving these Oldwings and expect to have a few teething problems on the way. The Rats Nest is a pleasure to ride even with reduced top end and braking that makes the 82 even better.

Sounds like a plan Joe I need to get up and get out there again. It is so cool to be able to go out and pick a bike to ride. I will head out on the Rats Nest and do some more hunting and gathering before taking the 82 up to Steve's after after the rush hour traffic has died down.

Ortega Highway 74 is a nice ride, of course I was always working while taking it but always wanted to ride it on the bike.
Wings look fantastic! Congrats.

Here are some pictures from Monday when the sun was shining before our trip up to Steve's so he can replace our faulty starter with his rebuilt one from his 83.
When I arrived at Steve's we decided to have lunch at Carl's Jnr and then head over to Dan's as he had an old 83 speedo cable that I will try and fit to the Rats Nest. It was great meeting Dan's family and seeing his 83 in all her glory and it gave the bike a chance to cool before Steve changed the starter.

I never imagined that we would have rides that look this good and go so well. Which only happened through the fantastic efforts of Steve83 :salute: (even though he doesn't drink beer, but I do)
Make sure you click on these photos to see them full size in all their glory

Latest posts