Dan's Solex type 32 PICB trial and review and dft comparison

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=156629#p156629:38ps6cst said:
dan filipi » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:55 pm[/url]":38ps6cst]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=156627#p156627:38ps6cst said:
mjanderson » 3 minutes ago[/url]":38ps6cst]
Anything new to report on this carb?
Not much really.
It starts easy with that enrichener circuit and idles very good at 1000 rpm.
Doesn't make me gag from an over rich idle like the dft did.
There is no load up at idle causing a lopeing.
My last ride it got 42 mpg.
What else is needed really.

Glad to hear it! Just wondered how it was going.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=156638#p156638:33lswc7n said:
mjanderson » 28 minutes ago[/url]":33lswc7n]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=156629#p156629:33lswc7n said:
dan filipi » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:55 pm[/url]":33lswc7n]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=156627#p156627:33lswc7n said:
mjanderson » 3 minutes ago[/url]":33lswc7n]
Anything new to report on this carb?
Not much really.
It starts easy with that enrichener circuit and idles very good at 1000 rpm.
Doesn't make me gag from an over rich idle like the dft did.
There is no load up at idle causing a lopeing.
My last ride it got 42 mpg.
What else is needed really.

Glad to hear it! Just wondered how it was going.
I'm glad you asked because it's making me think about what I want to do next on the bike.

I sure would like to get my hands on a small throttle body injection kit like the one I had from Holley 20 years ago.

So reviving this old thread....

I should confess first to you all that I've neglected the Oldwing for quite awhile. It's been sitting over a year. Yeah, I know.... My bad.

I guess I got tired of futzing with it so much, mostly the single carb mod and figuring things out. Much has happened on this forum in that regard.
That and the C5 ignition. Could say I got burned out on all of it.

BUT, the Oldwing is back on the road now better than ever! A pesky rich condition, I think I FINALLY fixed. I lowered the gas level in the bowl a solid 1/8" maybe more by using 2 copper washers. Maybe it took this long away from it for my thick skull to realize that was needed, I don't know but so far it's seemed to cure the bit of gas slosh I was getting when side standing it with the gas on, and nearly every bit of the flat spot is gone! Smooth 1100 rpm idle and smooth stumble free acceleration.

Goldwings are quite the bikes man. Total highway mile eaters they are. I've been riding the KLR 650 these last months and getting on the oldwing has given me a newfound love for them. 75-85-90 mph is nothing for them to cruise all day long. I rode a stretch out to Simi Valley the other day and when I got back I felt as if I'd never even riden. A full dress and sitting behind that big shield just makes all the difference!

So anyway, I think I'm done with tweaking this Solex clone. In a month or so we leave for a couple day trip up North and I'm riding her!
In the meantime my son and I will be riding her almost daily to check anything pops up. Besides a new rear tire and spline service, she's ready to go!

If there was a violin playing emoji, I'd use it here. Oh wait! There is!
:fiddle:

You're playing to the choir, Dan!

Just listen to yourself:

Goldwings are quite the bikes man.
Total highway mile eaters they are.
75-85-90 mph is nothing for them to cruise all day long.

Sheesh, I have an idea. You should start a Goldwing Club, or Forum or something like that to share your enthusiasm.

Never mind.

Seriously, it's good to hear your excitement being renewed. I didn't know it had gone stale. They are incredible machines. I'm hooked.

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Preaching to the converted!! :yes:
I must admit that the Rats Nest always puts a smile on my face. :yahoo:

Glad to see you have her back on the road and seemingly satisfied with the performance. Looking forward to the trip report. I'm seriously considering going the SCC route on my bike ever since I found out that I have '77 carb bodies with mismatched aftermarket jets and floats on a '79 block. Just a lot of trouble trying to find good original set of carbs that haven't been molested by a PO in some way. I'm debating between this carb and a 30 pict 1 as they are both pre-emmisions era carbs and simple.

Seems to me simpler is better for these conversions.

Reviving my old Solex thread for more discussion....

So the deal was I had a persistent “flat spot” right off idle with this carb. The worst place to have a flat spot especially while making right and left turns at a signal from a stop.
Since the accel pump has never worked, I dug into it thinking that might fix the problem.
What I found was a port that feeds gas into the accel pump feed side had never been drilled, so I drilled a small one. Pump worked great after but still had a small flat spot.
After futzing with it a bit more, cleaned jets, made some adjustments, my son riding it now every day to work and school, I decided it’s not safe to ride this way.
I did a longer ride and came up with only 33 mpg. I could smell gas too, both out the exhaust and around the carb.
Not having a whole bunch of interest in messing with it any more, I decided to have another go with Tom’s 32/32 dft carb.

Threw it on and it fired up easy to an okay idle.
Fashioned up brackets to secure the throttle and went for a short ride around the house. Was lacking power, felt lean.

Running in the garage I noticed a drip of gas from the primary Venturi. Hmm.
The idle wasn’t stable, would “lope” up and down.
So I pulled the carb top, checked the float and needle. All looked fine, no junk causing a high float so lowered the gas height a couple mm. Bingo, no more drips and no more loping!

Ride test it was obvious it was running too lean so I went up .05 on the idle jet to .55.
Adjusted the idle mix screw again, with the increase in size, idle mix needed to go in leaner for good idle.

Ride test about 40 miles.

Off the line is very smooth with no stumble. Very big improvement.
Low end torque smooth and pulls well from 1500 rpm in high gear.
It would stumble and sputter when secondary throttle started to open. That later improved around the streets. Not sure what to make of this, why it would improve on it's own but I'll accept it for now.

As it sits, air filter is on and ready to ride. Will get out this evening when it's cooler.

Well I know my bike is no stock wing but ...the bigger DFT on my bike makes a monster out of it ...the smaller Tom dft should work great if dialed in right ...glad to see this

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196417#p196417:imw2wu8q said:
joedrum » 3 minutes ago[/url]":imw2wu8q]
Well I know my bike is no stock wing but ...the bigger DFT on my bike makes a monster out of it ...the smaller Tom dft should work great if dialed in right ...glad to see this
No doubt a bigger carb can make more power if the engine is capable.
Toms dft seems good so far for simplicity, acceptable reliability, and fairly good performance with some minor tweaks.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196418#p196418:30j4ki3z said:
dan filipi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:12 am[/url]":30j4ki3z]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196417#p196417:30j4ki3z said:
joedrum » 3 minutes ago[/url]":30j4ki3z]
No doubt a bigger carb can make more power if the engine is capable.
Toms dft seems good so far for simplicity, acceptable reliability, and fairly good performance with some minor tweaks.
Plus it is new not reconditioned. :yahoo:

Okay, I've got some encouragement for those working on a single carb conversion, and maybe those having trouble getting it to run like you want. I've FINALLY got mine running like I've always expected it should. It's been literally years in the making!

I have installed the new Weber 32/32 dft progressive carb that Tom sells. This is on top of the VW plenum without the 2 to 1 adaptor talked about here in posts.
My runners are home made 1" made out of EMT conduit with custom flat head flanges. Pics are in my gallery.

Problem I was having was at the float height the carb was set at, I could see gas dripping from the primary venturi.
I lowered the float level about 2 mm. That stopped that.
Riding, it was obvious it was too lean in primary. Felt like running out of gas. I did the usual checks for good gas flow.

I went up from a .50 idle jet, to a .55 idle jet. This improved performance greatly.
Going up a freeway grade it felt now like it was running out of gas again trying to maintain speed or speed up, especially bad when opening the secondary throttle. Occasionally going into secondary throttle it would "stumble" for no apparent reason.

Back to the garage to think on this...

Joedrum and I through chat decided I should try a higher pressure fuel pump because he's been having similar problems. With slabghosts encouragement we found a 5.5-9 psi pump for $45 at Carquest auto locally.

I plumbed it in and went out for a ride. WOW what a difference!
No stumble, can hold wide open throttle for as long as I want. There is ZERO slosh over from the float being higher, no matter if I turn sharp right or left, take 10 mph turns in the canyons right or left. NO bog or flat spots ANYWHERE, and under every condition there is no "load up" when coming down to idle. These are VERY big deals for anyone working on a single carb conversion and no doubt know exactly what I mean by these things. They can be a real head scratcher what to try next!

Here's my video. I'm very proud of how well it's running....finally! This has been a very long and tiresome road for many at CGW! I do believe I'm done working on the SCC.

My intake manifold assembly isn't perfect, nor is it the prettiest. Is the throttle attachment perfect? No. But I did it all myself with runners to make up my own unique build. That I am proud of.

To wrap up this post....if your having trouble, get a higher pressure fuel pump. From what I've experienced, the stock 2-3 pound fuel pump simply cannot supply fuel the carb needs.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9PvUpojjiM[/video]

That sure sounds nice Dan! :clapping:

I could not shift my poor '82 slug at that low an RPM (looks and sounds like 25-2700). With the '83 engine in the '82 final drive, my engine needs just a touch more RPM. I can run at 2500, but it is nearly lugging my engine in 5th gear.

Does your bike have a C5 running in it also?

Yep, I think that C5 is helping too. Kinda goes along with Brian's comments in the past about the smoothness at lower RPM plus torque in nearly any gear.

Which also opens the question of how capable are the early carbs really? ekvh has modified his carbs to extremes to run his built 1200. Still seems to fall flat at higher rpm. Joe also reported they ran out of gas. I wonder now if better fuel pumps might have made these carb racks shine. Granted they aren't capable of the response a weber or solex can give. But they shouldn't run low on fuel. Joe swore the stock carbs ran the bowls empty. Okay four to feed versus one yes it probably did. Now with the new pump on a single bowl weber doing so much better. I begin to wonder.

Latest posts