Dan's Solex type 32 PICB trial and review and dft comparison

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on the DFT 32/32 carb. Seems like a perfect match for stock flat four GW. Big improvement in low end torque over OE carbs.

Dan, how would you compare the top end rush, at 6000 to 8000 rpm compared to OE carbs? It has been 3 or 4 years since I ran the stock carbs on my 1100 so not sure. But last ride I took I opened it up, (including secondary), at about 5000 and it surged ahead pretty strongly.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196483#p196483:i61a1hkt said:
slabghost » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:54 pm[/url]":i61a1hkt]
Which also opens the question of how capable are the early carbs really? ekvh has modified his carbs to extremes to run his built 1200. Still seems to fall flat at higher rpm. Joe also reported they ran out of gas. I wonder now if better fuel pumps might have made these carb racks shine. Granted they aren't capable of the response a weber or solex can give. But they shouldn't run low on fuel. Joe swore the stock carbs ran the bowls empty. Okay four to feed versus one yes it probably did. Now with the new pump on a single bowl weber doing so much better. I begin to wonder.

I'd say on stock carbs if you did get enough fuel pressure to feed them ...it would overwhelm the small parts an weak springs in this set up ...they truly can't handle fuel pressure required ...I'd say in my opinion ....at least on a bike like hooch ....seems stock carbs have ceiling level that just can't provide high performance at all over stock level ....that's all they have ..and I'd say the biggest reason that holds and oldwing back .....

Well one last change to the carb before the trip, then I’ll stop messing with it.

Mpg is down to 33 which was at 40 or so with the used dft so I’m going to put the idle jet back to .50. Maybe with the higher pressure fuel pump it can go back. All plugs are tan but could be leaner.

It's an epidemic!! A few days before a long/good trip, and you are messing with your bike? Been there, done that, still doing that! The Mrs mentioned that I should leave the bike alone as well as she doesn't want to get stranded down there, as if I do.

Cheers

Re drilled the idle jet to .50 from .55. Adjusted idle jet screw. It needed to come out about a 1/2 turn to smooth idle. Idle speed wasn’t affected.

It runs smooth idle to wide open throttle. It will however stumble momentarily when the secondary throttle plate starts to open if I twist the throttle fast while riding under a moderate load. No stumble when opening even just a bit slower.

I have programmed into the C5 an advanced curve. For this reason I think is why I hear some slight ping running regular gas and under certain heavy loads under throttle. When switched back to the stock 1100 curve, there is no ping. For these reasons, I think fuel air mixture is real close to where it should be. 3 of the plugs look the same, darker tan. One is much lighter tan.

Remember that I had the carb set up like this before. With the 2-3 lb fuel pump, it was starving bad for gas. Now running a 5.5-9 lb fuel pump that isn't the case.

Question now is if mpg has improved.

So would this carburetor and fuel pump setup on a stock 1975 gl1000 if so that's what we'll be done in the summer time thanks so much Dan you you guys do so much such a good job thanks appreciate it

Latest posts